Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Carrier

Old 11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Carrier

Heya Folks.

What is the reason you add a new tire carrier after getting bigger tires?

Also I was looking at some bumpers and options like the PureJeep have two different rear bumpers, one with a tire carrier and one without. Is it something that can typically be added later if I decide to get a bumper without a carrier?

I did a search this time instead of blindly repeating a question someone has already asked, but didn't quite find an answer.

Thanks in advance,
Beel
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

a larger tire will be to heavy for the tailgate over time the hinges will start to pull away
from the body. some aftermarket bumpers will be modular you will be able to add a tire carrier
to them but most don't have that option.you need to check each brand of
bumper.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just what I was wondering.

Originally Posted by jpfreak
a larger tire will be to heavy for the tailgate over time the hinges will start to pull away
from the body.
Alrighty then, that's exactly what I was wondering. I did see a few references to the issue of a larger tire being too big to even hang on the stock carrier but I wondered if it caused a problem with the tailgate.

What do you suppose is too large for the tailgate to support? I've ordered a Rubicon so ideally it handles a 32" without a problem. What about a 33" or 34"? I guess a wheel change will also have an impact. If we swapped to a steel wheel it's going to add to that over-all tire weight.

I should probably just stop being a weenie and buy the tire carrier as well.

Thanks for the help,
Beel
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

i had a 33-12.50 on my tj tailgate. it only took 3-4 months before the tailgate
started retiling loose.
i think the wider the tire the bigger the problem would be.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Too big

Ack.

Okay, so I need to either find a good modular or buy the bumper with the carrier.

My wife is pushing hard for new wheels and 35's, I'm probably going to go modest and do a small lift with 33's. It's hard to make a decision as it is and with everything being so new.

She's ready to jump on it and get it all done right away. The wheels she likes are $459.00 a piece.

Decisions, decisions...
Beel
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Ack.

Okay, so I need to either find a good modular or buy the bumper with the carrier.

My wife is pushing hard for new wheels and 35's, I'm probably going to go modest and do a small lift with 33's. It's hard to make a decision as it is and with everything being so new.

She's ready to jump on it and get it all done right away. The wheels she likes are $459.00 a piece.

Decisions, decisions...
Beel
Better that she's pushing for it than putting a damper on the whole operation

For what it's worth, my wife is the same way: I showed her a mockup of 32's, 33's, 35's, 37's with various lifts, and she said "definitely the 35's, 3" lift." So there you have it -- I will make it so

I have the same question about the tire carrier though -- some were saying that the JK's tailgate may be beefed up compared to the TJ so sticking a 35 on there may not be as much of a problem. I don't want to risk damaging the hinges though.

I really like the simplicty PureJeep bumpers, and their tire carrier version is supposed to be <$900 (no official price yet as far as I know).
Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bumpers

I found the PureJeep for sale at www.4wd.com.

Front - $429.95
Rear w/o carrier - $489.95
Rear w/ carrier - $789.95

I don't know what I'll do. Like many others I'm still waiting for mine to be built so it's not like I don't have time to decide. :sad:

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Beel

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm going to throw a wrench in your conversation here. I know a lot of people who have had trouble carrying 33" and larger tires on their tailgates, but I never had any problems with my TJ. The tire was about 1/16" too big to clear the bumper, so when the gate was shut, the tire actually rested on the bumper and lifted the gate back in line with the striker. All in all, there really wasn't any weight at all on the tailgate while it was closed! After three years, no rattles, still shut tight, and hinges still strong. Go figure.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are some other issues running larger tires on the stock carrier and stock bumper.

On my Rubicon with the 32" tires there is right at 1" of clearance between the tire and the bumper. So anything larger than 34" is not going to fit.

You will pretty much have to find an aftermarket bumper that has more clearance for the tire if you continue to use the stock carrier. And if your going to replace the bumper, you might as well get one that has a tire carrier built in.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jdrogers
And if your going to replace the bumper, you might as well get one that has a tire carrier built in.
... except they're a few hundred bucks more (at least) and I don't care for the look of them personally.

Seems like we won't have a good answer on how big of a deal this is until a few people bend their tailgates (or not)

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier