Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Prices Going Up

Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Tire Prices Going Up

Mods: I hope you don't move this. I know it's not strictly JK related, but I'm hoping that folks will find the advice useful for their near-term Jeep decisions. The obvious other place for it is A&E, and many don't read that, which means they might miss this important tidbit.

Tire prices are going up. Fast. Cooper Tire raised their prices 8-9% last month--the second time this year they've raised tire prices. It's being driven by the price of natural rubber, which continues to climb. I didn't even realize they still use natural rubber in tires. But, the price of oil also affects tire prices--I recall this from the 1973 oil crisis. So, if you're posting polls on JK-Forum about what brand/size/whatever tire you should go with, maybe now is the time to get off the fence and make that purchase.

If you Google "price of tires going up" you'll get plenty of news article hits from the past six months or so. I mention this today because USA Today has an article on rising prices, which is where I got the Cooper Tire info. I'd post a link to it, but you all can find it easily enough and I'm trying to keep this post relevant to this sub-forum so the mod's leave it here. :-)
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips Mark.....I know I need to purchase some new rubber, but I was planning on getting them across the border in July. I can't get below the border any sooner. Getting them down south of the 49th will be a savings of +$500 for tires vs purchasing them up in Canada.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Thanks for the tips Mark.....I know I need to purchase some new rubber, but I was planning on getting them across the border in July. I can't get below the border any sooner. Getting them down south of the 49th will be a savings of +$500 for tires vs purchasing them up in Canada.
time for some 37s triplejeep!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bosox5
time for some 37s triplejeep!!!
haha 37's....gonna try 35's first, 37's will be a hard sell with my vertically challenged wife and kids.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire prices shot up everywhere. When my check finally came in and I was ready to pull the trigger on some BFG's, they shot up 20 bucks a piece. Luckily i got em for a steal and I dont have to worry about tire prices for the next 40k miles

Quick Reply: Tire Prices Going Up