Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire rubber and tread wear...

Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rubber and tread wear...

We all love offroading and in researching 37's for myself, performance offroad is priority numero uno. That said, paying for this hobby requires driving to work on the pavement. Is there a swamper that has good mileage and tread life? Interco SS Bogger's probably are the worst with tread life but how bad are, say, IROK's? Does anyone have good experience with offroad performance and on-road tread life with a particular tire? Those with experience with IROK's, especially, please chime in. Tried searching with no results. Many thanks!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post Super Swampers

I had the Super Swamper SSR's (35x12.50R15's) on my 2004 TJ. I got rid it for my JK but I would estimate that you would get around 30000 miles out them. I rotated them every 3000 miles. They are great for off road but they do weigh more then your typical tire.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mini-me
I had the Super Swamper SSR's (35x12.50R15's) on my 2004 TJ. I got rid it for my JK but I would estimate that you would get around 30000 miles out them. I rotated them every 3000 miles. They are great for off road but they do weigh more then your typical tire.
Wow that's a lot of miles. I can't believe it - I would have honesly expected it to be 1/3 of that. How many miles did you put on them before you sold the TJ? Obviously the next question is about how much tread wear was left? 30000 would be awesome! I'm assuming you thought they were great offroad and were happy with them, right? Thanks for your help man.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post SSR's

I got ride of the TJ when I had 18000 miles on the tires. They had half of the tread depth left. An other thing to consider is the weight of the your JK to the weight of the TJ. The TJ empty is 3745 lbs. You can compare your empty found from Jeep's web site to the TJ to determine the weight difference.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crankitdb711
...37's.....performance offroad is priority numero........
You say offroad performance is your number one priority, but don't say what type of offroading you do.......

For Moab slick rock an A/T is perfect.....
For mud you can't beat a Bogger.....
For hardcore rock crawling your best bet is a red label mud tire.....

I am buying 37's myself in the very near future (as soon as lift arrives) and was considering the 37" Irok Radial and the 37" BFG M/T. I ultimately decided on the BFG do to its far superior road manners and wear.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mini-me
I got ride of the TJ when I had 18000 miles on the tires. They had half of the tread depth left. An other thing to consider is the weight of the your JK to the weight of the TJ. The TJ empty is 3745 lbs. You can compare your empty found from Jeep's web site to the TJ to determine the weight difference.
Wow that's awesome, that's seriously a lot of miles for a swamper. Again, tread wear isn't everything, and I know I'll be burning them up in mud ruts but still, I hate how they lose their treads so much on highways, not where it counts. Yeah JK's are definitely a little heavier and I've got a hug-arse fab fours bumper and warn 9.5ti on the front that combined have to be 300 lbs but I still hope to have a tire that won't shred after a few K miles. thanks again for the responses.
Originally Posted by Duke
You say offroad performance is your number one priority, but don't say what type of offroading you do.......

For Moab slick rock an A/T is perfect.....
For mud you can't beat a Bogger.....
For hardcore rock crawling your best bet is a red label mud tire.....

I am buying 37's myself in the very near future (as soon as lift arrives) and was considering the 37" Irok Radial and the 37" BFG M/T. I ultimately decided on the BFG do to its far superior road manners and wear.
I'm definitely looking for performance 3/4 the time in mud and 1/4 the time on rock-crawls. The IROK and SSR should be agressive enough for either. I have the BFG M/T right now and I've been pretty happy with it. I've also put 6K miles on them with very little tread wear. That said, I still get stuck a couple times every time I go wheeling so I need to try something different - great tire though.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

stick wiith the BFG M/T's and spend your money on something else, like bumpers/winches/gas
Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ground hawgs wear like iron and do well off-road. I got 40K outta of set on a F250 with a 460. They were not even bald when I sold them.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RipperMan
stick wiith the BFG M/T's and spend your money on something else, like bumpers/winches/gas
Ha yeah but super swampers are pretty inexpensive and they seem worth it. regardless, i do have the bumper, winch, and I syphon gas out of H2's when they're not looking. (just kidding police)
Originally Posted by rabidranger
Ground hawgs wear like iron and do well off-road. I got 40K outta of set on a F250 with a 460. They were not even bald when I sold them.
Yeah I was looking at those once but they don't come in 37's
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

it all comes down to what are you going to use your jeep for. i personally use mine for work and to play hard in the mud.. i run 37" boggers i used to work far from home and did almost 80-100 miles a day. i really took a beating on the wear. now i work 5 mins from home lol

overall boggers for me were the way to go. i love them dirve good on and great off road. after 6k miles i can see alot of wear but thats to be excpected form a tire that only gets about 15k. just if you go for boggers drive slow in the rain and be carefull.

Quick Reply: Tire rubber and tread wear...