Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Rubbing - FT 3" Ultimate and 35" BFGs

Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rubbing - FT 3" Ultimate and 35" BFGs

Had the lift and tires on for about 2 weeks. The shop wants me to go back in shortly to make sure everything stays tight and to do a articulation check to check for rubbing (it looks like the rears may rub on the stock sliders...so we may cut the end of the sliders off and pop the caps back on...but we'll see once we get them on the forklift).

But I have noticed some rubbing on the fronts. I drive some very windy roads into work, and the rubbing only occurs when i am braking (slightly) into a turn (right or left) that is rather shallow. The front tire(s) rub when I am in the middle of the turn. If I am going uphill or if I am not breaking, it doesn't happen. So I think it is happening when the weight is shifted forward and you get a bit more compression in the front. And it also doesn't happen on sharp turns...only the shallow turns, maybe turning the steering wheel 50-70 degrees or so. But when I get out, I can't see where the rubbing is occurring. I also can't repeat it when I'm stopped...it looks like I have a ton of clearance in all directions even when the tires are turned to their stops. Has anyone else had something similar?

I'll be asking the shop when I get in there next week, but I wanted to check on here as well. To their credit, they did want to do the articulation check before they gave me the Jeep back, but I needed to get to work and so I took a chance.

ProComp Series 7005 17"x8" Wheel
BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 35X12.5QR17 tires
Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what back spacing do you have on the wheels
Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by excrider450
what back spacing do you have on the wheels
4.5"

Well that's good to hear about the rear, I was hoping they would clear...it just looked like it was going to be tight.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same lift going on

is this commom,i have the same lift , same size tires and rims going on soon,hope your problems get solved and i do not end up with the same,running out of money with all this stuff im having to buy
Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a 2.5" BB with 35s and my front tires rub on the stock plastic skid plate/splash guard thing when turning tight. i would check there to see if there is any signs of rubbing, and if so, some simple trimming should fix it
Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Can i get some pictures of the jeep?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patrick @ Full Traction
Can i get some pictures of the jeep?
Is there something specific that you want photographed? There are a couple side shots in my gallery. But I can take some shots of the front suspension and post them up tonight.

The plastic guard is definitely something that I thought might be the problem, but it didn't seem to have any rub marks on it. I may take some chalk and mark up the edge of the plastic to see if I can tell where it's rubbing. I just got on the Freeway this morning and the long circular on-ramp was the exact situation needed for my tire(s) to rub most of the way around the on-ramp.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

I have the same backspacing, it doesnt rub..
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I have the same backspacing, it doesnt rub..
Same tire as well?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Rockemsock
Same tire as well?
No, i dont think it would make that big of a difference.

Quick Reply: Tire Rubbing - FT 3" Ultimate and 35" BFGs