Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire size help

Old 07-12-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size help

Hey guys, I am going to be getting some new tires and rims as well as a lift for my 08 unlimited X and had made a decision to go with 33's. This is also my daily driver. I am second guesing my decision, and wanted to hear from some of you that own 33" tires and which they had gone with 35's. Also would like to hear from some of you that are happy with their 33's. I just dont want to make a big mistake where as tires are not cheap. Is there a huge advantage going with 35's over 33's. Thanks in advance.......

Chris
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

What gears are you running? Auto or 6spd? They are both major factors in determining drivablity with 35's or 33's/
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
What gears are you running? Auto or 6spd? They are both major factors in determining drivablity with 35's or 33's/
6 speed manual with 3.73 gears
Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What I am doing. Rock rails are on. Next evap relocate and oil pan skid, (By end of August). A set of 33's and a front leveling puck around November. Then I am going to wheel it and enjoy.

Next year I will re-gear and add lockers, (Currently running 3.73 automatic w/ 32 tires). It will be another year yet before I install a lift. By then, I will be ready to go to 35's. At that point, I will have put a little more than 2 years on my 33's. I've run several sets of mud tires on various Jeeps, (mostly BFG's and Swampers). Seems like 30-35K miles they start "singing" loud enough that I replace them. I have to spread the costs out over time so my wife doesn't complain......Too much
Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi

My 2dr JK is my dd also. Altho I "wanted" 35s on it as they look so damn "cool", but beacuse it is my dd, and right now I have to commute 95 miles round trip everyday to work, I went ahead and opted for some nice wheels and 33 ATs. The change in looks was in fact pretty damn dramatic over those little stock 29"ers, and yet it still drives super nice.....both were my two major concerns.
At this time I just don't wheel enough to worry about big lugged agressive tires. In the future I might. So just ask yourself this.....do I need a loud agressive tire to go wheelin' with, or do I want an as comfortable and quiet ride I can get on the pavement......and yet still look "somewhat" cool...ha!!!
BTW....I went with Bridgestone Dueler AT "Revos". Love em'...!!! If you want to see a pic of how they look without a lift yet, let me know.
Good Luck....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
My 2dr JK is my dd also. Altho I "wanted" 35s on it as they look so damn "cool", but beacuse it is my dd, and right now I have to commute 95 miles round trip everyday to work, I went ahead and opted for some nice wheels and 33 ATs. The change in looks was in fact pretty damn dramatic over those little stock 29"ers, and yet it still drives super nice.....both were my two major concerns.
At this time I just don't wheel enough to worry about big lugged agressive tires. In the future I might. So just ask yourself this.....do I need a loud agressive tire to go wheelin' with, or do I want an as comfortable and quiet ride I can get on the pavement......and yet still look "somewhat" cool...ha!!!
BTW....I went with Bridgestone Dueler AT "Revos". Love em'...!!! If you want to see a pic of how they look without a lift yet, let me know.
Good Luck....
Would you mind posting a pic.....
Old 07-12-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan on doing much offroading get the 35's, If only light to moderate off roading go with the 33's
Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi

Here ya go.....

285/75/16 (33"x11.5") Bridgestone Dueler "Revo" AT
Eagle Alloy 140 Super finish black (polished aluminum)
There are a couple more pics on my project JK

Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Here ya go.....

285/75/16 (33"x11.5") Bridgestone Dueler "Revo" AT
Eagle Alloy 140 Super finish black (polished aluminum)
There are a couple more pics on my project JK

Looks good, thanks.....
Old 07-13-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I Drill
If you plan on doing much offroading get the 35's, If only light to moderate off roading go with the 33's
Yeah, light to moderate off roading. Seems like 33's might be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Tire size help