Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire/spacer mount question

Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/spacer mount question

If I were going to get new tires mounted at an NTB or Discount Tire and I'm staying on stock rims, would I have to install the spacers before I went in or would they install them for me?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

You will be fine. The spacer is there to prevent rubbing when the steering wheel is turned all the way to one side or the other. Normal driving is ok.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

I was just at Discount Tire on Thursday and they said they wouldn't install tires with spacers.

Anyone else heard this from them?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

So your saying I should mount the spacer on the stock tire and rim before I go in to get my new bigger tires installed?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepJk1
If I were going to get new tires mounted at an NTB or Discount Tire and I'm staying on stock rims, would I have to install the spacers before I went in or would they install them for me?
I have called around and Discount tire and three other companies in the Chicago area will not touch wheels that have wheel spacers. I already had mine installed before I bought my new tires though. Mine were going to rub on the rear swaybar, so I couldn't get them installed if I wanted to without spacers. I just had to put it on 4 jack stands and take the wheels/tires in. PITA, but worth it. So, I don't think they will install them for you. They wouldn't even mount my tires/wheels with them on there.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure about other brands, but Spidertrax states that balancing is not required with the spacer....

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/ctype.../.f?category=2

I think the important thing here is that the spacer is hub and wheel centric. Have the shop balance your tires and then install the spacers when you get home... should be good to go.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks a lot Beau and yea that really is a pain but it'll definitely be worth the time.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spidertrax spacers are hub centric and require no balancing. If you are familiar with them, they actually bolt to the hub using the factory lugs with loctite. Then the wheel will bolt to the spacer using the lugs on the wheel spacer.

Some spacers are not hub centric so its hard to get them aligned properly. Not all spacers are bolt on, most I have seen (not for jeeps) are just a thinner piece of metal that is sandwiched between the hub and wheel.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tlhall2
Not sure about other brands, but Spidertrax states that balancing is not required with the spacer....

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/ctype.../.f?category=2

I think the important thing here is that the spacer is hub and wheel centric. Have the shop balance your tires and then install the spacers when you get home... should be good to go.
yea i know for sure i'm going with Spidertrax spacer and i'm going with 295/70R17 tires which i know for a fact will rub without the spacers on, so i'm not sure if i should jack the car up at home and then get the new tires mounted on my rims then bring them home and install the spacers and tires then go get them balanced. Or if i should get them installed without the spacers and deal with the rubbing on the way home and install the spacers when i get home.
I'm open to any ideas here
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wheels/Spacer

Originally Posted by JeepJk1
yea i know for sure i'm going with Spidertrax spacer and i'm going with 295/70R17 tires which i know for a fact will rub without the spacers on, so i'm not sure if i should jack the car up at home and then get the new tires mounted on my rims then bring them home and install the spacers and tires then go get them balanced. Or if i should get them installed without the spacers and deal with the rubbing on the way home and install the spacers when i get home.
I'm open to any ideas here
Spacers do not need to be balanced because they are highly machined and very close to the rotating axis, so if they are slightly out of balance they don't cause a wobble. You don't need to balance them. I would jack the jeep up take the wheel and tires off. Take them to Discount tire (in a different vehicle, of course) have them mount and balance the new tires on the wheel/rim. Return home with your freshly mounted tires on the rim, add the wheel spacers (blue loctite is a must), put the new wheel/tire on the jeep, stand back and smile. I just put 295/65/18 Duratracs on mine with this similar process, but I already had my spacers on the jeep with the stock wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Tire/spacer mount question