Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tires

Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

I found a wheel that I like ,the hard part is finding the right tire, I want to go with 35's, what kind of tread patterns are you guys runnin, recommendations???, It is a daily driver ,I am willing to sacrifice some comfort, and would like to get some decent tread life
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I run 35"Toyo MT's they have great traction but are quite noisey. they are a little bit stiff as they are load range E. they are wearing very good. Maybe thats why they put a good loud stereo in the JK.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Get these toyo m/t's they are listed as 35 inches tall 11.5 inches wide and rated for 7.5 inch wide rims (think factory rims with no spacers)

LT285/75R18

or these, they are 34 inches tall same specs as above. I have 5 sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted on my factory rims.

LT285/75R17
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I run 35"Toyo MT's they have great traction but are quite noisey. they are a little bit stiff as they are load range E. they are wearing very good. Maybe thats why they put a good loud stereo in the JK.
I actually think they are a lot quieter than I expected an MT to be; they don't bother me at all. I run mine at 26-28 psi and am very happy with the ride and handling on the road...(and I'm female, FWIW - I have certain expectations of comfort ) Over 28 psi and the ride is too stiff for me. Haven't had them on long enough to comment on wear (@4000 miles), but I've heard nothing but good things.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Super Swamper TSL's
Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I would have to know what you needed the tires to do for you, to know what type of tread, etc, would be best for you.

If you want to maximize off road capabilities, at the expense of on road capabilities, you would go with an aggressive tread.

If you want to maximize on road abilities, you would go with a less aggressive tread.

Its like picking foot wear for the terrain...if you're playing basket ball on hardwood, you want flat rubber like a basket ball sneaker, if climbing ice mountains, you want boots with spikes, if running through mud on a foot ball field, you want cleats.

If you are wearing ice climbing boots to play basketball, or sneakers to run through mud, you are going to be be handicapped.

So - you ned to decide WHERE you want your best capabilities, and, what compromises are you willing to make on, and off, road, to get what makes sense for YOU.

The next level of decision is involved with off road issues, like mud, vs rocks, vs sand, etc....as the offroad tread and design for one, is different than for another.

For rocks, you want grip and wrapping, and tough side walls and puncture/tear protection.

For mud, you want big paddle wheel treads.

Paddle wheels suck on the hwy, etc.

Paddle wheels suck in sand too, AT's typically are better in sand, but worse in mud, etc.

Tough thick side walls give a lot of rolling resistance (MPG suffers), but protect the tire from damage.

Thinner rubber wraps rocks better, but is more easily damaged, but gives better mpg, etc.

So - think about what you want/need, and post up.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

I would have to say I will do more wheelin in the mud than rocks or sand. The only really worry on the street is treadwear I dont want to go through tires like crazy. The noise level doesn't matter much,turn up the sirius! I found Maxxis BigHorn Radials at quadratec, any opinions? The rims I want are 16x8(they don't make a 15" in the style) I am looking to get a 35x12.5. Let me have it!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

If noise doesnt bother you, and you will be in the mud, I still say TSL's.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would highly recommend the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's. I have them on my chevy 315/70R17 (35'ish) and 295/75R16 (33.4'ish) on my JK. Both vehicles are daily drivers. My wife's drives her chevy around...600+KM a week at the very least and after a full summer on hers there is hardly any sign of wear.

They aren't too noisy either. However, that being said, they seems pretty quite on her truck, but when the top came off my jeep in the spring, I did notice some noise from mine...but they were still quieter then the 265/75R16 BFG's I had on there before the Hankooks. I commented just this morning how these tires are starting to show up everywhere now. I got turned onto them 1) the dealership my wife used to work at recommend them...and the price was PERFECT and 2) we've started installed them on all our trucks. Mostly for the tread wear on the fleet though!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Toyo M/T. Best MT out there.

Quick Reply: tires