Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tires and gears questions help

Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, see when people put it like that it sounds like a fantastic idea. But then.I'm told that it'll be so sluggish and eat up gas, and bust an axle.

I'm Just confused on what to do first. Tires or gears?

I'm leaning towards gears and then save for tires. But I Lmfao want a.bumper and winch but i guess those can wait now. Idk, I go back and forth
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKJeeper88
Well, see when people put it like that it sounds like a fantastic idea. But then.I'm told that it'll be so sluggish and eat up gas, and bust an axle.
It will not be "so sluggish". Try it for yourself. You will definitely not bust an axle. You actually have more chances of busting an axle with lower gears, because they put down more torque on the axles.

I'm Just confused on what to do first. Tires or gears?
Tires, tires, and again tires. The thing is you may or may not need gears, based on your driving style and/or preference. But to answer this question, you first need to put the tires on and drive it.

I'm leaning towards gears and then save for tires. But I Lmfao want a.bumper and winch but i guess those can wait now. Idk, I go back and forth
You don't even know which gears you'd want. So get the tires, and then see what gears would be appropriate and if they're even necessary at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't climbing rock all the time I would have never regeared with 35's. you can get away with it on the highway and on the trail. It is hard to climb without smoking the clutch though. Definitely tires first.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Alright, Yall have me sold. Now i just need 1500 bucks, and to cut out the rear wheel well pinch welds!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Well all i could say with MY experience...I had installed 315 70 17 Procomp Xtremme MT Tires...
I have a 12 JKU plenty of power - sucks on gas...Ah well...It tends to downshift alot on little inclines...
I have the Automatic...Remember with 12.5 wide tires - they seem to always wander wanting to find
grovves in the road...For the winter i am running the BFG'S MT tires (Rubicon ) when i put those on last
weekend - MAN what a difference...All to say do the 35"S badass looking on our JK'S...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gussets welded on axles?

Not meaning to hijack but I read a minimum to go to 35" is gusseting the axles. Do people all do this and if not are the axles bending hitting bad bumps or is this just a very rare occurance with hard core rockers?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Opalgem
Not meaning to hijack but I read a minimum to go to 35" is gusseting the axles. Do people all do this and if not are the axles bending hitting bad bumps or is this just a very rare occurance with hard core rockers?
Hence why I started this thread! Idk. But from what everyone is saying is that 35s on the d30 is fine
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012 2dr 6speed with 3.21's. I had the stock highway tires. Got up to 24 mpg on highway. Went with 33's 12.5 wide. Get 16 mpg highway.
Have lift as well.
I am seriously considering all the time to sell the tires and get 35's!!
I love the look of 33's
But man. 35's are perfect look on jk's
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah...bumper and winch first. Then Gears or gears and tires. But not tires before gears, the 3.21s are sluggish enough with 32x10.50 tires on
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

You can run 35's on 3.21's but 3.73's or 4.10's would be better. If only used for trail use the I would go with 4.56's or 4.88's. Personally I would run at least 4.10's if you were staying with 35's and did any wheeling, however if there were a possiblilty of 37's in the future I would definitely lean towards the 4.56's or 4.88's so no future gear changes would be needed.

Quick Reply: tires and gears questions help