Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing Capacity

Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Capacity

Is there any modifications I can do to my 2011 unlimited to increase the towing capacity? 3500 pounds is kinda light. Lol like what happens if I need to tow a Land Rover.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Towing and pulling are two different things. You could swap the body on to a larger frame with better brakes and add trailer brakes to your trailer if you'd like to up the capacity.

Pulling a LR out of the mud or dragging it across the park are different than your tow capacity.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

By what I understood the tongue weight is about 1000 pounds and the pulling power is about 3500 and the and the payload is about 900 pounds. I think this is due to the fact that the jeep has coil springs and not leaf springs. I did some research and found a hitch that mounted differently and I thought that this would increase the towing capacity but it still said 3500? My conclusion was that this was attributed to the lack of leaf springs. Not to mention the 200 Hp engine may struggle with more than 3500 pounds. I thought about adding airbags to increase the towing capacity but just like leaf springs this would severely affect the articulation. The question is how do I get both towing capacity and off road capability?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You build the Jeep for offroading and buy a truck for towing.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cpedrow
By what I understood the tongue weight is about 1000 pounds and the pulling power is about 3500 and the and the payload is about 900 pounds. I think this is due to the fact that the jeep has coil springs and not leaf springs. I did some research and found a hitch that mounted differently and I thought that this would increase the towing capacity but it still said 3500? My conclusion was that this was attributed to the lack of leaf springs. Not to mention the 200 Hp engine may struggle with more than 3500 pounds. I thought about adding airbags to increase the towing capacity but just like leaf springs this would severely affect the articulation. The question is how do I get both towing capacity and off road capability?
You can tow much more than 3.5k. Many of use do so on a regular basis. There is no real reason for the low tow rating. The same JK all over the world is rated to pull different wts. In Germany it's 7K lbs with trailer brakes, in Australia it's about 5k lbs, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	543110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0184.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	543111  
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The limiting factors are braking and tongue weight not the engine. Upgrade your brakes with the Teraflex big brake kit( including the master cylinder) and add air bags to the rear coils.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just an FYI, from a liability perspective there's really nothing you can legally do to exceed the manufacturers tow rating. If the max for the vehicle is 3500 and you have an accident towing 5000 lbs your likely to be held responsible and even charged. Your rated GVWR takes into account braking, steering, suspension, everything related to towing. You can reinforce and even distribute weight to make it easier to tow your max weight, but if you exceed it and the GVWR you're rolling the dice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

All it takes is someone stopping quick or cutting you off, if you are over limit, or even at a safe tow weight, quick maneuver, fishtail turns into a jackknife, turns in to worse. I've seen it happen with "proper " tow setups in the blink of an eye. Not worth it and you won't have a leg to stand on as far as liability if you are towing beyond rated vehicle capacity. Just because you "can" don't mean you should. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity