Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing capacity increases with Hemi swap?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing capacity increases with Hemi swap?

Anyone know how much more weight one can tow behind a JK with a Hemi swap? I know the JK can currently tow 3500 lbs with the 3.8. I'd like to upgrade to a bigger camper.

Last edited by 08JKWrangler; 07-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Anyone know how much more weight one can tow behind a JK with a Hemi swap? I know the JK can currently tow 3500 lbs with the 3.8. I'd like to upgrade to a bigger camper that would be twice that weight.

Towing capacity ratings are based on more than just engine power. You have to consider braking and GVW also
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Im sure a hemi might pull more weight

but as far as insurance goes. If you pull more than the vehicles rating (3500 4-door) then they can deny you coverage if you get into an accident.

And it takes more than just a motor to determin towing

Im not sure if you even make the correct mods you can get the rating changed officially

but look into the jeep j8 as that has a higher rating
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by daubie
Towing capacity ratings are based on more than just engine power. You have to consider braking and GVW also
i was gonna say the same thing. motor size has nothing to do with towing capabilities. is about gross vehicle weight. that like asking if you drop a 650 detroit into a vw bug can you tow a HMMT trailor
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

The J8's higher tow rating is due inlarge to its leaf springs in the rear. That is not the only thing but one of the big reasons. But as stated earlier even with upgraded susp. and engine and brakes, ins will look at the tow rating and GVWR....good luck
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

If anything, you might lose some tow weight due to the engine being heavier....towing isnt about what you can pull, its about what you can STOP!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Anyone know how much more weight one can tow behind a JK with a Hemi swap? I know the JK can currently tow 3500 lbs with the 3.8. I'd like to upgrade to a bigger camper that would be twice that weight.

Then you need to buy a truck. Towing 7000 lbs with a JK would most likely kill someone either you/your passengers or someone else on the road. You would have absolutely no control over a trailer that size.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

It also depends if you have trailer brakes. This I highly recommend
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir
Then you need to buy a truck. Towing 7000 lbs with a JK would most likely kill someone either you/your passengers or someone else on the road. You would have absolutely no control over a trailer that size.
See this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p-to-7-716-lbs!

Clearly it CAN tow more, but I can't speak for the legal issues. It's rated for 3500 lbs in the US. Any more - surf this site or elsewhere on the web and get a variety of opinions.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daubie
Thanks all for the input but perhaps I did not share enough info. I'm no newbie when it comes to towing.

GVW refers to the maximum safe actual weight of both the tow vehicle and trailer. It is set by the Mfg so that the vehicle's engine, transmission, brakes, and so on will NOT be stressed beyond their design limits.

Clearly, if one were to use a an anti-sway bar, a load leveling hitch, trailer e-brakes, a tranny cooler, a hemi, and an upgraded tranny - the vehicle should be able to handle a larger load. Both pulling and stopping... I have all of the above except the hemi and tranny and am wondering how much more the JK can pull with an increase in power and torque. The e-brakes would take care of the braking issue that many of you have pointed out.

Last edited by 08JKWrangler; 07-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing capacity increases with Hemi swap?