Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS swap?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS swap?

I just bought some aftermarket steelies, and I honestly could care less about having the TPMS function, but I'm the sort that will be bugged by the stupid ass yellow light on the dash everytime I get in the jeep. Can I move the TPMS over to the new wheels? If so, what has to be done in order to achieve this? If I have to remount and rebalance the tires, then I probably don't want to fool with it, but if it's a simple swap with a valve stem tool and airing them back up, then I would definitely do that to get the light to go away. I guess if that won't get it, I'll break down and get a ProCal or something.

TIA

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Steelies

Originally Posted by Jason_G
I just bought some aftermarket steelies, and I honestly could care less about having the TPMS function, but I'm the sort that will be bugged by the stupid ass yellow light on the dash everytime I get in the jeep. Can I move the TPMS over to the new wheels? If so, what has to be done in order to achieve this? If I have to remount and rebalance the tires, then I probably don't want to fool with it, but if it's a simple swap with a valve stem tool and airing them back up, then I would definitely do that to get the light to go away. I guess if that won't get it, I'll break down and get a ProCal or something.

TIA

Jason
You'll have to break them down & have the TPMS installed on the new wheels.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you had a good tire shop do the mount and balance of the new setup, they should have offered to move the gear over during the process............You will have to break the bead/deflate the tires to remove the TPMS from the stockers, then do the same thing to your steelies to put the tpms in them. Kind of a headache. Just wait until you get sick of the steelies and get something else, then have the tpms switched over. Youve gotta admit, Mods are never done, the wheels you have now will likely be "upgraded" in the next year or two......thats the way jk'ers are
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im just dealing with the yellow light for now. New sensors are about $70 a piece and i didnt want to take my stockers apart incase i decide to sell them or put them back on. I might just hold out for a 2011 programer to come out considering it will do everything the aev procal plus more. I"m all about saving money in the long run
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the TPMS. So I put them on the new wheels. I picked up a Procal from AVE and set it to come on at zero. That fixed that problem. No TPMS and no warning light.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

I just bought an aftermarket TPMS from my local parts store, they actually had a listing for the JKs. They're made by Dorman, and cost about $32 each. They look identical.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will the Procal get rid of the light if there are no TPMS sensors there at all, or will it only work if they are there?

Jason
Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_G
Will the Procal get rid of the light if there are no TPMS sensors there at all, or will it only work if they are there?

Jason
I believe it tells the computer to turn off the dash light.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I just purchased new wheels and ordered my new tires for my JK. I was in the same boat...really didn't care if I had my TPMS, didn't want to have to dissassemble my factory tires and wheels to get the sensor or buy a new set.
I have the Superchips Flashpaq. If you update the flashpaq online after you tune your vehicle it will give you the option to download an extra software called TPMS offroad. It is extra software that allows you to completely disable your TPMS system. It is seperate from the standard software that allows you to lower the air pressure sensitivity of the system. It is very simple and you can easily re enable when ever you want.
Personally...for anyone who has lifted their Jk and needs to reprogram for Gear changes, tires, tranny shift points etc, it is the easiest way to eliminate that light and chime.

Quick Reply: TPMS swap?