Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track bar bracket hitting rear shock.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track bar bracket hitting rear shock.

Noticed this while rotating tires wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Rear track bar bracket is hitting my rear shock and dented it. Never noticed it so clearly is riding and wheeling fine. Just worried since it’s hitting break line too. How’s yalls brake lines rigged in the rear. I know eventually I’ll swap to aftermarket track bar to not have it contacting when fully articulating.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Use an axle side mount that raises your track bar and that should solve your issue. On the brake lines, just out of the way is where they need to be. I've seen "show" rigs use springs to hold them out of the way. Maybe you could use the Teraflex BALS or whatever it is called, brake anchor something system, to keep your lines where you need them.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan_AustinJKU (06-02-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Use an axle side mount that raises your track bar and that should solve your issue. On the brake lines, just out of the way is where they need to be. I've seen "show" rigs use springs to hold them out of the way. Maybe you could use the Teraflex BALS or whatever it is called, brake anchor something system, to keep your lines where you need them.
Appreciate it, I actually have the teraflex mounts up front didn’t think rears would be a issue but never noticed it would pinch when fully compressed.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_AustinJKU
I know eventually I’ll swap to aftermarket track bar to not have it contacting when fully articulating.

Even if you do get a replacement rear track bar, you may still want to look into getting an axle side mounted rear track bar relocation bracket as Karl suggested.

The relocation bracket serves 2 purposes.
1. Re-centers rear axle due to lifting due to factory TB is now too short
2. Puts the track bar back to a more parallel position with the rear axle.

If you get just a replacement TB with no bracket, then you're correcting the 1st item only. I'ld recommend just getting the axle side bracket since it addresses both problems of correction but I won't deter anyone wanting to spend further $ on a replacement rear TB as well but feel it's really unneeded unless you're running 37 or larger tires.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-01-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Karl nailed it. On a side note, take a look at your rear sway bar and how far the link's studs stick through it....then look how far your hard brake line right above that sits away from the frame. You may want to zip tie that brake line as snug to the frame as you can (big zip ties from Walmart are cheap). That sway bar can travel up, the stud from the link can catch the brake line, pulling it down in to a sharp "V". They're not fun to replace. You might only gain 1/4 to 1/2" clearance.....every bit helps.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Yep just get the raised bracket, I would recommend a weld on with multiple mounting holes. Barnes makes a nice one for the JK
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-JK-Re...ket_p_416.html
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the insight, brake lines my number one concern. Would hate to loose all fluid on the highway after a weekend at hidden falls or something. I’ll be doing the relocation bracket soon after, anyone know if it can be done wheels on the ground? Haven’t boughten jackstands yet, about the only tool I don’t have minus floor jack. Any have pictures of how they have there brake lines set up, would appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's one of the rare jobs where you don't want a jack stand. You've got to take out the track bar and then bounce the Jeep (for lack of better words) and see where it settles. Install your track bar and then measure side to side to see where you are- make corrections as needed.

On the brake lines, you're ditching your drop brackets for longer lines? They go inside the sway bar, swoop out and back, then towards the caliper. I don't recall having any issues with them lining up in that way naturally when I went to longer lines.

Searching for a decent picture of the brake lines.

Last edited by karls10jk; 06-03-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Ryan_AustinJKU (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's one of the rare jobs where you don't want a jack stand. You've got to take out the track bar and then bounce the Jeep (for lack of better words) and see where it settles. Install your track bar and then measure side to side to see where you are- make corrections as needed.

On the brake lines, you're ditching your drop brackets for longer lines? They go inside the sway bar, swoop out and back, then towards the caliper. I don't recall having any issues with them lining up in that way naturally when I went to longer lines.

Searching for a decent picture of the brake lines.
yea I gotta take off the frame side bracket that seems to be the problem, it’s pinching the brake line when fully compressed on passenger side rear. Was looking for pictures of how people have them secured with zip ties or whatever, the length seems fine as I’ve never popped them off and I’ve wheeled this jeep for over a year with this 3in lift setup with decent trails at hidden falls (Texas off-road Park). For now I pulled the brake line and it sits outside the shock but would easily fall back between when wheeling. Also just pushed the hard line 1/4 in rearword to give a tiny bit of room. Started feeling around on the line and I have a good chunk of brake line missing but no leak obviously, any advice on if that soft line should be replaced or if I fix the issue with it being pinched by the frame mount drop bracket if it would be fine.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Looking at axle mounted brackets with multiple holes to correct the trackbar problem. In 3-4 years will be upping my lift to 4in to run 37s after I swap axles so trying to get a kit that will fit for the future too, especially if getting it welded on

Quick Reply: Track bar bracket hitting rear shock.