Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Bar Help!!!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Bar Help!!!

So I’ve had the Teraflex forged track bar installed for about 2 months now, install was a breeze, hadn’t had any issues whatsoever. After going for a little ride in the woods last week I’ve noticed a creaking noise coming from my front end at times when turning the wheel. The noise seems to be worse when I’m parked on unlevel ground, barely hear anything at all when actually driving. I was totally stumped, originally thought it was one of the tie rod ends or the pitman arm. Without being able to lay on the ground and look while the wheel was being turned I took it to a garage near my house to see if they could figure out where the noise was coming from. Guy at the shop said the bushing on the axle end of the track bar looked like it was moving as the wheel was being turned and that’s where it was coming from. So I took it back home and was looking at the bushing, nothing looks wrong with it, cleaned around it real well, made sure the bolt was torqued properly, track bar doesn’t move at all when you push or pull on it, but the creaking noise is still there. I’ll be driving to the beach next week and wondered if anyone had any suggestions, thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

have someone turn the wheel while you lay under and look at everything.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
have someone turn the wheel while you lay under and look at everything.
+1. You can't tell diddly squat with this stuff just looking at it and tugging at it with your hand. You need the pressure of the steering system moving things back and forth. Sitting in front of it watching components while someone else is turning the wheel will create enough force to highlight a bad joint or bushing.

I'd find it hard to believe 2 month old TF trackbar bushing is bad or the culprit, but stranger things have happened.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I stuck my phone in the coil and had looking directly down on the axle end of the track bar, does appear to be moving slightly, gonna re torque it again, trying to upload the video although it’s not letting me for whatever reason
Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by CKLEM55
I stuck my phone in the coil and had looking directly down on the axle end of the track bar, does appear to be moving slightly, gonna re torque it again, trying to upload the video although it’s not letting me for whatever reason
I'm sure this is asking the obvious, but you are using a torque wrench and getting it to 125 ft lbs right?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm sure this is asking the obvious, but you are using a torque wrench and getting it to 125 ft lbs right?
that is correct
Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Is the hole in the bracket wallowed out?

Quick Reply: Track Bar Help!!!