Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TrailDash2 vs TrailCal

Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TrailDash2 vs TrailCal

So I've been doing some reading. Apparently people aren't getting the claimed improvements on the TrailDash2 that SuperChips is claiming and what improvements they are seeing are plasebo's caused by adjusting the throttle response and correcting for tire diameter. If this is true, would I be better off saving myself the money and just getting the TrailCal instead?

Does anyone have the TrailDash2 and dyno numbers to backup the claimed performance increases?

I figure by the time I buy a ScanGauge and a ProCal to adjust for tire size and gearing I'd be just as well off buying the TrailCal for it's display.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have dyno data, but my Trail Dash 2 87 octane tune brought my hwy mpg back up to 20 and performance like new after putting on 34" tires, heavy bumpers, tire carrier and winch. Before that tune, maybe 16 mpg and poorer performance.

However, I don't keep the Trail Dash 2 on when I'm driving, so the display isn't as important as the tune and tire size correction, which I could have got with a cheaper Superchips unit.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 Rubicon, the TD2 is great for the Rubi's but I don't see alot of advantage if not. The ability to turn my lockers on in 2H to get up that little spot that twist the jeep when going slow, just activate the locker with the touch and keep going. Some folks remove the E sway bar and put aftermarket bar on, the TD2 will turn off the light that would come on and flash. I like the ability to see more of what is going on with the jeep too, like trans temps, engine temps. The optional TPMS override is nice too, let the tires down to 10 lbs hit the appropriate button and no more flashing on the dash. Many other advantages with the TD2, but if non Rubicon, not sure it would be worth the money
Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

I just picked up a 2013 JKU and after my first wheeling trip this weekend and flat towing my TJ, I want more gauges. The Jeep did great, but I don't like having basically no info about what is going on while operating. Since I'll be upping the tire size and regearing in the future, this seems like a good solution.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I don't have either of these products, but it makes me think back to when I bought my Bully Dog. I tried the various tunes and tracked my fuel economy and such. I never saw a big enough difference between them. I set it to back to regular and it's been there since. I don't even think it's worthwhile to change to trail tunes myself, but just my opinion.

I am curious though.....do you guys leave these sitting on your dash full time? When I bought my unit one of the things I liked about it was being able to monitor various data similar to these units. I don't have the full features of the rubicon computer package, so thought it would be useful. The drawback for me is the top is off all the time just about. I just approach it as "don't leave anything sitting in the jeep I would be pissed if it got stolen". Well, I don't really want someone walking off with my tuner, so it pretty much just lives in my Tuffy storage box.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have a TD2 in my 2014 JKURX and I love it. I don't think it improved my performance/mpg, but like you said it improved throttle response which was huge for me. I also like all of the gauges and the Rubicon features. My last trip out on the trail I discovered my favorite feature in the crawl tune. It was awesome, highly recommend it to anyone that has one already. I have an automatic and it kept me from spinning my tires unless I really wanted to.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Considering a TrailDash2 for my 2012 Rubicon. Most of the comments made in this thread, e.g., tire size, axle ratio changes and better diagnostic gauges, are doable with OBD JScan for about $100. If I’m going to spend another $500 for TD2, I was hoping to get something big from the different tunes. It sounds like at least some of you like the improved MPG tune and the rock crawler tune.

Anyone with experience with the other tunes and an opinion on whether the tunes are worth an additional $500?

Thanks

Quick Reply: TrailDash2 vs TrailCal