Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case linkage

Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case linkage

So today randomly, as I parked in my driveway I shifted back into 2H, from 4H (4-5 inches of snow on the roads). As I shifted into 2H the jeep did so but the 4wd light stayed on. I reversed and got onto some snow to make sure it was in 2h (which it was) then pulled back into my driveway. Transfer case will shift into 2H AND 4LOW but won't engage 4H. But like I said says 4wd when I'm in 2H. I checked the linkage by the transfer case and fiddled with that no luck yet, and the bushings are still intact underneath center console.. So any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There is a switch on top of the transfer case that activates that light. Sounds like it's out of sync with the actual selection. Mine did that. New switch fixed.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by brycesaunders3241
Transfer case will shift into 2H AND 4LOW but won't engage 4H.
This sounds like a separate problem, unrelated to the switch.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There is a switch on top of the transfer case that activates that light. Sounds like it's out of sync with the actual selection. Mine did that. New switch fixed.
the only reason I don't think it's the switch is because not only does the 4wd light stay on I can't engage 4H, like I said no problem with 4L OR 2H, just 4H
Old 01-26-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fixed it, it was just the linkage cable was mounted incorrectly probably came loose
Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This sounds like a separate problem, unrelated to the switch.
Yeah. How do you even know you're in 4H when you're just driving along for a short test? It's easy to think you're not (because the light is out) when actually you are. Mine appeared to not be in 4H, though actually it was. However, ...

Originally Posted by brycesaunders3241
Fixed it, it was just the linkage cable was mounted incorrectly probably came loose
... you were right, Ron. This being the case, however, I still wonder how a Jeep transfer case can have a functional 2WD and 4WD-Low but never enter 4WD-high. If the switch was correctly displaying the status, then he was always in 4WD since the light was always on, right?

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-26-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: transfer case linkage