Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transsmission kick when down shifting aftetr regearing

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transsmission kick when down shifting aftetr regearing

I have a jk 2008 (auto tans)i regeard from 3.21 to 5.13
now after regearing my transsmission kick and hard shift and feeling gear down shift isn't smooth when giving a full throtle.
maybe it is that i didnt calibrate or it's not about calibration?

Any info on this issue /or a solution would be appreciated

Last edited by Hadi Makki; 01-16-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You have not reprogrammed after the regear? Seems like I recall that on the early models you could still drive like that (with the newer ones it throws you in to limp mode with an auto). If you haven't reprogramed for that gearing, that is a HUGE jump from 3.21 to 5.13. Reprogram it.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You have not reprogrammed after the regear? Seems like I recall that on the early models you could still drive like that (with the newer ones it throws you in to limp mode with an auto). If you haven't reprogramed for that gearing, that is a HUGE jump from 3.21 to 5.13. Reprogram it.
my jk drives fine when giving light acceleration but only on full throttle sometimes it kicks when down shifting so you think only reprograming will stop transsmission to kick on full throottle? and how should i reprogram it with a procal ?

Last edited by Hadi Makki; 01-16-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Your shift points have to be all out of whack I'd think, so I could see that causing a problem. Many people like the Procal as a reliable unit that gets the job done. I can't say for certain that would solve your issue, but I highly suspect it might. I always found it a little odd the older automatics could drive right on off without programing for gears.

Curious to see few others chime in.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Your shift points have to be all out of whack I'd think, so I could see that causing a problem. Many people like the Procal as a reliable unit that gets the job done. I can't say for certain that would solve your issue, but I highly suspect it might. I always found it a little odd the older automatics could drive right on off without programing for gears.

Curious to see few others chime in.
thanks for the replies,i will reprogram it these week and i hope that it change gear smoother
Old 01-18-2019, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

With an auto, you pretty much must re-calibrate. I believe the AEV Pro-Cal handbook even states this. As resharp stated, your shift points are probably out of whack. 3.21 to 5.13 is a big jump.

Program your new tire size while you're at it too, but definitely program that new gear ratio in.

Quick Reply: transsmission kick when down shifting aftetr regearing