Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trimming M.O.R.E skid

Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming M.O.R.E skid

Did some reading and realized it's a pretty common thing for the exhaust to hit the skid on the passenger side. Mine is definitely rattling against the plate when accelerating from a stop. For those of you who have trimmed rather than spaced it down (which seems like would have to be a pretty decent spacer) where and how far did you cut the plate?

Needs to be cut here - Click image for larger version

Name:	skid_plate.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	674091

but I'm wondering how much to take out. Should I make the cut all the way down to the base of the plate? I'm not sure how much the exhaust gets to moving around when off road.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I notched mine a bit. Maybe one inch down and one inch in? Click image for larger version

Name:	photo607.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	792.5 KB
ID:	674107 it was rubbing under throttle before the trim and I have no issues on or off-road
Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that's really helpful. Had you added the exhaust spacers in that photo? Mine seems to be hitting right on top of that angle, but would probably be about where yours is after the spacers are installed.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no spacers

Originally Posted by darien99
Thanks, that's really helpful. Had you added the exhaust spacers in that photo? Mine seems to be hitting right on top of that angle, but would probably be about where yours is after the spacers are installed.

No exhaust spacers on mine and its more than enough to clear. if you want i can grab some more exact measurements, but im pretty sure i went 1 inch down and 1 inch in, id like to round off the sharp corner created but ill wait till i pull the pan down to re paint in the future.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Another option is to re-route the exhaust. Muffler shops, specially mom & pop ones, will typically do that sort of thing pretty cheap. Pick up a little clearance for front DS as well doing so.

Quick Reply: Trimming M.O.R.E skid