Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Truss VS gusset question.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Yes a proper truss would go from end to end and over the differential. It is nearly impossible to truss a factory JK front axle due to all the links it has and clearance on the up travel. Several other companies sell a bracket they call a truss for the rear that just goes over the differential, these are actually a bridge to allow for more options on link mount and really do nothing to increase the strength of the axle.
You ever see those outer sleeves from rockslide engineering? Those look useful as they increase the od of the tubes which imho is more important than increasing the Id like regular sleeves
Old 04-13-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

YEs, they may be the best bet to prevent the breaking of the housing which occurs under the track bar mount on the passenger side. Again I really think people are making a bigger deal about breaking the axle then they should be.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Pardon me for butting in, but as a veteran of the wet pasta JK front axle dilemma had I to do it again I wouldn't invest a dime in the stock housing. I originally started building my '09 JKUR in May of that year. There weren't the options available at that time to truss, etc, so I sleeved and gusseted the POS. Offset housings weren't available short of special order either, so to get rid of front driveline vibes I added lockout hubs. A pricey but effective mod. In the end the thing bent anyway and I replaced it with an aftermarket housing. Save your money, get a PR44, etc and be happy.

Quick Reply: Truss VS gusset question.