Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The truth about longer sway bar links

Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about longer sway bar links

I'm trying to wrap my brain around extended sway bar links, and why they're needed.

First off, I'm assuming that the sway bar itself isn't rigidly attached... that when disconnected, it will rotate up and down.

So as far as I can tell, whether the sway bar links are short or long, the twist in the bar itself will not change when fully flexed.

The only thing I can think of is the angle at which the links meet the bar itself. I suppose the closer to 90 degrees that angle is, the more leverage/force on the bar, thus the easier it will twist. Is this correct, and is this the reason for the longer links? Does it make that much of a difference?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine your axle articulating down, the bar flipping forward, and then your axle articulating up. Then try to figure out the resulting pretzel...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you know the sway bar links are not removed in the rubicon thanks to $1500 electrical disconeect system.

This will leave the end links to rotate back and forth as you wheel. This is not a problem with stock ride height at all.

When or if you lift, without lowering the anti-sway bar with spacer brackets or increasing the length of your end links the end link has the potential to over-rotate during full articulation and may try to rotate forwards instead of backwards as normal. This is not good and may/will result in damaged equipment on your jeep. I have seen a few photos of end links bent around 180 degrees.

Perhaps someone can correct me or confirm.

I hope that helps.

**On a Sahara or X, manual disconnects are required and this is less relevent.**

Cheers,

MMB
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Totally agree. If you don't know what he is saying and want to see it yourself, find a stock rubicon or a X with an e-disco and see that the link is almost straight when fully flexed. Moving your suspension farther from your frame ( Lift kit) and not changing the length will cause your links to bottem out and then possible flip the wrong way. If you have an e-disco, the longer links are needed for a lift. period.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I see what you guys mean, no further explanation needed.

I've just heard people say "Short links limit flex"... is that true?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

anybody wanna buy a Factory Smart Bar? I've got one for sale. It works, I just replaced it.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RuBob
yes, that can be true too. if your tire is drooping and the link and sway bar on that side are fully extended BEFORE the rest of the suspension (shocks, CA's, etc) is at max articulation, then the links are limiting flex.
yup, what he said
Old 12-11-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, thought id add.. if your not disco's in a rubi or x/sahara.. and your lifted and your links are too short.. and say theres a hump in the road and you go over it fast enough for your jeep to leave the ground, if the sway bar extends downward completely before your shocks stop your droop, you could even have your swaybar swing around the wrong way..

So in any case, it could be a problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Not mine, but this is what happens when the link is too shart.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

OUCH!!!

10 Characters

Quick Reply: The truth about longer sway bar links