Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TrXus vs Dick Cepek

Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrXus vs Dick Cepek

So, for a while now i've been looking at a 4" lift from superlift and some 36" IROKs from Super Swamper. However, after some thought, i think i'll be going with a 3" black diamond suspension to help save my driveshafts and boots for a lil longer and some cash on the whole shibang. The 3" is a lil cheaper than the 4" and now instead of 36" IROKs i'll be going with a 35". Another reason for this, is that the dealer can flash the pcm up a 35". So my question is, which tire do you guys reccomend between the two: 35x12.50x17 Interco TrXus M/T or the 35x12.50x17 Dick Cepek Radial Mud Country. pros cons and why? I've run the TrXus before and i loved them, but the Dick Cepeks look nice and are only $213.00 a tire from four wheel parts supply. anybody ever run the Dick Cepeks, are they loud, hows the traction, the tread life? Or if anyone knows of a really great affordable 35x12.50x17 that they'd like to recommend let me know. The TrXus are $236.99 and i know the price difference is only $23.99 a tire but times five tires, and that covers the price of the spidertrax spacers that'll make the tires fit. anybody have the Black Diamond kit? how do you like it?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 03-23-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

also, i know the TrXus is a heavy tire, the Dick Cepek says its an 8 ply tread, does that mean its a heavy tire too?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
Another reason for this, is that the dealer can flash the pcm up a 35".... Or if anyone knows of a really great affordable 35x12.50x17 that they'd like to recommend let me know.
I don't think they can flash for 35's. The largest I have heard of is 32's. As far as tires go, might I suggest you buy my Hankook MT R03's? I am trying to sell them to go bigger. $600 + shipping for 4. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4894 Sorry, had to pitch that in.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Thats a good price but i won't be buying tires til i buy the lift and thats a few months out still, and i don't know much about Hankocks, plus i like a more aggressive tread, even the dick cepeks are a lil on the less aggresive side for what i'm looking for. but for price reasons, and if everyone says that they're a good tire i'd be willing to try them. Thanks for the offer though, and good luck selling them. Hmm, maybe they can't flash for a 35, anybody know for sure what the largest tire they can flash for is?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I've also been considering these two tires. The TrXus have a great reputation, but I've also heard they can be hard to balance, can blow-out on heavier rigs, and handle a little soft on the highway. Innovative Balancing's ceramic beads could address the balancing issue and the "LT" might handle more weight.

The Dick Cepek MC and FC II also look pretty good -- the FC II being a little more highway friendly.

js.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

I was always happy with my 33x12.50x15 TrXus M/Ts on my TJ. I put them up to a 100 mph or more a few time and they held up well. Four wheel parts had no troubles balancing them in the beginning, but at about half tread life, they either didn't care to keep trying, or couldn't balance them right, cuz they made lots of noise that was definately a balancing issue. but the 4dr JK is a bigger rig and so are 35s... a 17inch rim should help a bit, but in the end, i think i'll run the Dick Cepeks. they are cheaper, and should be lighter than the TrXus, those things where heavy. but i'm still happy to hear arguement for either tire, as i wont be getting iether for a lil while still.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
I was always happy with my 33x12.50x15 TrXus M/Ts on my TJ.
Ah yes, that brings up a second point for me, 285 or 305 33s? I'm leaning towards the 285s because of their max load rating of 3305 (285/75R16) vs 2910 for the 305s. That would make them better on the higher, and considering I'll be putting on new bumpers, basket roof rack, winch, skid plates, etc., I'm probably better off with the 285s. Then again, airing down for mud, the 305s would sure be useful...

BTW, for me, it's been a toss-up between the Toyo MTs, TrXus MTs, and the Dick Cepek MC. I'm leaning towards the Dick Cepek at the moment... ;-)

So, who's going with 285s and why? And who's going with 305s and why? :-)

js.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

3 of my Dick Cepek mud country tires came in. I put one on front to see what it would look like and it looked really good. I have a slight rub on front bumper, so I'm kind of worried. May have to break out the sawzall. 33x12.5x15 with 2in lift.

Quick Reply: TrXus vs Dick Cepek