Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?

I've been looking at flat fenders and reading up on them. Will the metal tube style fenders ruin the quarter panels under stress or should I get plastic ones that will give under stress?? What are the ideal flat fenders, will be going up to 37's soon.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm trying to figure out the same exact thing. I'm in your shoes.

Pros to plastic: cheaper, lighter, won't transfer damaging forces to the tub.

Pros to metal: I've heard more stories of them acting like armor than I have if them actually damaging the tub.

Subscribed. Wanna hear more. I would like to hear from someone who has actually suffered damage through a metal fender.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ripped stock, and xenon fenders off....also dented the jeep body when a xenon front fender pushed in...this time around I build tube fenders but making reinforcement spots to body....

I say a good designed tube fender without question with supports behind em to main body mounting not just outer panel...

I've suffered damage no matter what I've run but the tubes have been my best asset so far...
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Brute, what are your thoughts on something flexible like bushwackers? Also, do you feel tube fenders have saved your tub more than hurt?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

I'm not good with google tonight but Txrock posted pictures a while back now of the Genright flares being laid over on the side of a road with a 4dr on them and they came out without any real damage.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls
I'm not good with google tonight but Txrock posted pictures a while back now of the Genright flares being laid over on the side of a road with a 4dr on them and they came out without any real damage.
The worry isn't the flairs being damaged, it's them transferring enough force to damage the tub.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just looking for real world experience, so I have a good expectation with what I choose.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
The worry isn't the flairs being damaged, it's them transferring enough force to damage the tub.
The pictures tell the story if you or I can find them. It's impressive.
Originally Posted by 5110
I'm just looking for real world experience, so I have a good expectation with what I choose.
The pictures will link you to the person who rolled and you could ask that person, I'm just trying to give you an avenue to look since I don't believe they frequent the interwebs.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool. Thanks for the lead Karl. I've also heard of people bouncing off trees with the genrights and everything being ok.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
Brute, what are your thoughts on something flexible like bushwackers? Also, do you feel tube fenders have saved your tub more than hurt?
Tube fenders saved my ass.....

My xenon semi flex fenders bent mt front panel in my stockers got ripped off so many times it was ridiculous....not too mention semi flexible fenders dw ted my front panels.

Tube fenders and I've laid mine Into the walls no issues....now tube fenders with no support behind them will band front body panel...ones with support will take a harder beating then the other 2 by leaps and bonds...the other 2 aren't tied into anything so they flex build resistance or your rig hits the crevass or canyon wall crushing stuff....a reinforced tube style will slide against the wall and be tied into the main body and not just panels making it stronger....

Rears

Front

And some damage that was the final straw so I started making tube fenders and side armor...

Scott and I playing in some crevass lol and some other spots I go.

Quick Reply: Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?