Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuffy Security Drawer

Old 07-15-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuffy Security Drawer

I think I am about to buy the Tuffy Security Drawer. I just read the article online at w w w.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0708_4wd_jeep_wrangler_tuffy_box/index.html and have two questions......

1. Does anyone have a picture of one with the tailgate closed?

2. How much wait can it support on top of it? Can it support a very large cooler full of drinks for the weekend?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, don't have a picture with the door closed. (On my 4dr JK)

- There is about 4" of space between the box face and the rear door when the door is closed. If the box is unlocked, you can open the drawer about an inch before the handle hits the door.

- CAUTION! If the box is mounted in the full UP position, with the softtop, you have to rotate the rear window bar up to gain access to the box, and unzip the window to gain access to items on top of the box (from the rear, obviously). This won't be an issue for a thief. A good knife will make short work of the vinyl anyway.....but that's why I got the box in the firstplace!

- If you mount the box at any level besides the top level (4" space under the box) you will be unable to lift the under floor compartment access door. Even WITh the box mounted at the top level, the compartment hatch only opens about 3". Just FYI incase you use it for any storage other than soft items that flex.

- The box is VERY sturdy. I don't think you will have any problems with it supporting a cooler full of drinks. Just make sure you strap that cooler on tight! The box top is very slippery and things slide.

- Generally the box installation was straight forward and the documentation is written well. I had no real difficulty installing mine.

As it is, I find the box well worth the money.

I have the center console (well worth the money) and the overhead console also. I am not sure whether I would do the overhead console again (since my CB will NOT fit without modification) and the console is a head hazard.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a shot of the tuffy drawer, from the driver side rear window, taken when I was doing my cargo door mod:

Here's a shot of the drawer with the soft top rear window in place. You can see the trunk installed at the top position how the window cross bar has to be tilted up for the drawer to open:

Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a few more shot for the unbelievers.....

This is a tape measure shot of the space between the trunk face and the cargo door:

This is the real usable space, because the trunk face will impact the door at the driver's side corner soonest:

BTW, the tape measure is only about 1-1/4" wide and it won't fit betwen the trunk face and the door. It is CLOSE at that point. For illustration, here is a shot of the tape measure wedged in the open trunk with the door mostly closed. I couldn't fully close the door without crushing the tape:

Here's a shot of the rear of the jeep, door open and rear window up:

And because these are my pictures and I'm darned proud of it, here's a shot of the door held open by the gas spring, while my jeep is parked in my slanted driveway. Before the installation, the door would slam into anyone caught between it and the jeep in this situation. Now it holds the door open without danger of being crushed:

Last edited by jocrazy0; 07-16-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuffy Security Drawer