Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Unichip - Whos running it?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unichip - Whos running it?

Found this on http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=2720041

Some very high claims, surely not true......but even if they were 75% true thats still pretty good. Wondering if anyones running one, and if so, what they think.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
Found this on http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=2720041

Some very high claims, surely not true......but even if they were 75% true thats still pretty good. Wondering if anyones running one, and if so, what they think.
Ha! I just answered your PM about the gears, and mentioned the Unichip LOL
Everything I have read about them is pretty good, much better than the Jet chip, especially if you have a tuner tune it to your Jeep which I am planning on doing when they are available... July 13th (from 4wd) is what I'm hearing for the plug and play, or Hesco has the hardwired units available now.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
Ha! I just answered your PM about the gears, and mentioned the Unichip LOL
Everything I have read about them is pretty good, much better than the Jet chip, especially if you have a tuner tune it to your Jeep which I am planning on doing when they are available... July 13th (from 4wd) is what I'm hearing for the plug and play, or Hesco has the hardwired units available now.
Well make sure and let me know how it turns out. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Got this from Hesco's forum for those that are interested......

Sounds like a winner.........
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

does any one have a comparison of the uni chip and the jet chip?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Uni Chip is AWESOME

Unichip is well know inn performance car circles as one of the best chips as it is PROGRAMMABLE to your vehicle and specific mods you have done. It was originally developed in South Africa for the GTi Challenge and the product worked so well it is now sold worldwide. In Australia it has an exccellent reputation for both road cars and turbodiesels.
Check up a company in SA called Steves Auto Clinic (SAC) They use them extensively and expanded into running a didicated diesel workshop for offrraod vehicles.
Works best if it is fitted by an experienced Dyno Tuner who can set it up to your needs, ie low down torque, high end power, etc.Best to fit it once you have fitted CAI or snorkel, Exhaust, etcas it will make the most of improved airflow.
I have driven several vehicles before and after and it definitely made a very real difference in driving and fuel consumption.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the hard wired unit from Hesco and Jon Schaefer tuned it for me on his JK. I love it and it performs well all throughout the rpm range. I can't tell you it made a lot of difference in fuel economy, but did improve power and driveability a bunch. I wish I had the plug and play for when I go to the dealer, but I have all my bugs worked out and have not been to the dealer for several months (except the squeek when shifting. I had the Jet stage II and there is no comparison. I had Jon tune this before adding my headers and it still works great after. I get 17 - 18 mpg fairly regular, before the chip was 16 - 17 and I don't baby it. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jameswharton
I have the hard wired unit from Hesco and Jon Schaefer tuned it for me on his JK. I love it and it performs well all throughout the rpm range. I can't tell you it made a lot of difference in fuel economy, but did improve power and driveability a bunch. I wish I had the plug and play for when I go to the dealer, but I have all my bugs worked out and have not been to the dealer for several months (except the squeek when shifting. I had the Jet stage II and there is no comparison. I had Jon tune this before adding my headers and it still works great after. I get 17 - 18 mpg fairly regular, before the chip was 16 - 17 and I don't baby it. Hope this helps.
Jim
Have you dynoed yours lately? You seem to have the most performance mods out of anyone here - CAI - Headers - Exhaust and the UNICHIP, id like to see a dyno after all that........
Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

No dyno available around here that I know of, wish there were.
Jim
Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jameswharton
Jim
What brand of headers did you install? Was there a palpable change in engine output?. My only problem with the V6 is the waining power when we pull long hills on the highway. It's only going to get worse with the lift and tire upgrade. Thanks.....CJ
Edit: Sorry for the hijack

Last edited by SoCalRubi; 06-26-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Unichip - Whos running it?