Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to a D44 front axle

Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to a D44 front axle

What is involved in upgrading a 4 door Sahara JK to a D44 front axle? I've looked for write ups and haven't found any. It seams like I've seen a thread before but cannot find it now.

thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

if you have the complete d44 with everything, it is pretty easy. basicly just like installing a lift. attach the control arms, brake lines, abs lines, drive shaft, track bar, etc. not to bad. i dont think there is a write-up but i there is a post about 20 pages long telling about it. think it is called axle upgrade, should be fairly recent. found it spelled axel upgrade though.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default if you have a 07 easy if you have a 08 need to regear

If you have a 07 with 4.10 rear then the Rubicon D44 front bolts right on. If you have a 08 you will also need to regear as well because now only the Rubicon comes with 4.10. Everything else has either a 3.21 or 3.73. Your front wheels would spin slower than the back! I image that would pretty much rip the transfer case in half!

So you will need to add about $230 x 2 (front and back) + install $$$.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red5
If you have a 07 with 4.10 rear then the Rubicon D44 front bolts right on. If you have a 08 you will also need to regear as well because now only the Rubicon comes with 4.10. Everything else has either a 3.21 or 3.73. Your front wheels would spin slower than the back! I image that would pretty much rip the transfer case in half!

So you will need to add about $230 x 2 (front and back) + install $$$.
You would only NEED to regear either the new front (to match existing rear), or the old rear (to match the new front).

However, if you're installing a D44 front, I assume it is because you're an off-roader, so if you're gonna go through the effort of re-gearing you might as well do both

-E

Quick Reply: Upgrading to a D44 front axle