Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrading my stock Rubicon

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mueller433
I like the Skyjacker lift kit I have, was very easy to install. The 2.5 inch TeraFlex Budget boost lift kit is very good if you are going to 33inch tires.

There is no point to go to 32inch tires from the stock Rubicon tires. Rubicon tires are very good already.
Hello,

In Europe, Rubicon Tires are not BFG Mud, but Goodyear SilentArmor:(
This is the main reason to have a lift and mud tires...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

He's just going to be under "Northridge" I believe... Hopefully he can help you out.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's mine with a 2.5 Teraflex budget boost... Take note that I have a Bestop bumper and winch in the front, and an LoD rear bumper with tire carrier, so I do think that my stock springs got it heavy...

I'll be buying the TF springs and getting rid of the spacer to try an gain back a little weight...

You'll see that I have 33's as well

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We will ship to portugal and overseas for all Project-JK members.

Personally the OME , OME LT kit and the Teraflex kits are all great it reall just depends on what you want. YOu cant go wrong with any of them.

David
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Great news David

Now I can count with Northrigde to have my JK parts shipped here. I don't think I have to use any other store
Since you've red all the thread what would you personally recommend?
Should I have the lift before putting the tires (33'') on? And if I stay with 32'' do you recommend the lift too?
I think I should not go higher that 2,5''.
Can you tell me aprox. shipping costs to ship to Portugal?
Thank you
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hvilla
Here's mine with a 2.5 Teraflex budget boost... Take note that I have a Bestop bumper and winch in the front, and an LoD rear bumper with tire carrier, so I do think that my stock springs got it heavy...

I'll be buying the TF springs and getting rid of the spacer to try an gain back a little weight...

You'll see that I have 33's as well

What size and maker are your 33'' tires? Does they come out of the fender flares? Here in Portugal we cannot have tires coming off the fenders. What wheels are you using? What backspace or offset?

Thank you
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mbernardo
What size and maker are your 33'' tires? Does they come out of the fender flares? Here in Portugal we cannot have tires coming off the fenders. What wheels are you using? What backspace or offset?

Thank you
Personally, I'd get the lift first, and then the tires. Especially since you are keeping 32's, I would not go any higher than 2.5" either. I know several people that ran 32's and the TF 2.5" BB and now know a few that run that lift with 33's and a few with 35's. I'd recommend 4.5" backspace. With 33's, you may even be able to get away with 5". As far as the tires sticking out beyond the flare, 33's with 4.5" of backspace will put you almost completely flush, maybe sticking out a half inch or so, but you'd have to be looking very closely to tell.

I told ya, if we mention David enough, he shows up and I'm glad to hear that he could help you with shipping. Since you have a Rubi, I'd start with the 2.5" TF BB with shock extensions and pucks to keep the price down, but if you want to spend more, then go with longer springs and shocks. I believe that kit also comes with a trackbar relo bracket so you should be able to get your axle pretty close to center and your geometry should be ok. Also, you shouldn't need new shafts.

On the other hand, the OME LT kit is nice as well and I only know one person who was running it and he liked it ok. Not that its a big deal but if you did go this route, you'd likely be mismatching manufacturers brands as you do the more complete phases of the lift. If you went with someone like TF, they would be able to provide, control arms, shafts, whatever you need for a more complete lift in the future if you decide to go that route.

I'm glad we could help out. Also, I know there are threads showing the 2.5" BB lift on 33's and even on stock rubicons so you can get a feel for what it will look like.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

NGINIER,

How satisified are you with your RE 4.5 and 35's? I have an bone stock 09 2DR Rubi and your set up is what I have been strongly considering! How is the ride quality compared to stock? What was the total ride height increase (still need it to fit into my garage)? Thanks, D
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mbernardo
Thanks a lot for your answer. I've asked about these kits, because they are more popular in Europe.
If course I've read a lot about TF and RE. What shocks are usualy used with RE suspension?

Thanks for your help
i used thr R.E monotube shocks with the R.E 3 1/2 superfex kit, but the old man emu long travel shocks would be another great choice
Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigD
NGINIER,

How satisified are you with your RE 4.5 and 35's? I have an bone stock 09 2DR Rubi and your set up is what I have been strongly considering! How is the ride quality compared to stock? What was the total ride height increase (still need it to fit into my garage)? Thanks, D
This question was not asked of me, however with the R.E 3 1/2 superflex handles 35's just fine, fits in the garage easy,with room to lift off the hard top! I hope this helps

P.S The ride handles like stock, no bells or wisles, but is a little stiffer.I think the ome long travel would get you a better ride on road,just a litle less stiff, give daved a call and he will hook you up !
I am running procomps 8179 17x9 4.75 back spacing with rock rings and BFG Km2's

Last edited by 08leocon; 09-25-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my stock Rubicon