Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Using thin 1/8" wheel spacers

Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

If your steering stops aren't hitting the axle, what is it that is limiting your steering before that point? Your steering stabilizer?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good question. I'm not sure if there's a maximum amount of travel in the steering box. If not, it's probably the knuckles. It's not the linkage or steering stabilizer.

Originally Posted by resharp001
If your steering stops aren't hitting the axle, what is it that is limiting your steering before that point? Your steering stabilizer?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Your stops should be set to limit you at 1.5-1.75 turns each direction and I'd think the steering box limits would be just after that. I've not pulled my stops out so I couldn't tell you what the limit is but I did roll full lock each side to determine that things were centered after installing a drag link.

I know your initial post said that it was the nuts limiting the turns but can you run your steering to full lock each direction so we can help out? Have you reached out to Barnes to see what they think on the issue?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

It must be the steering box that's limiting the travel. I know what the issue is... the tie rod is long so I have to adjust the tie rod ends almost all the way in to set the proper toe. With it adjusted that way the wheels come in contact with the jamb nuts at full lock, even though I have wheels with the recommended backspacing.

I'm going to add more washers tonight and get the steering stops adjusted which should do the trick. No thrilled about losing the turning radius though.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What's your length from knuckle to knuckle at the center of the bolts coming through the knuckle? I have another manufacturer but if it's too long then Barnes should help you out if they cut it too long. I'll measure mine later tonight for you.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

I talked to Barnes and they said the tie rod is the correct length and that you want to have as little thread at the end as possible (which sort of makes sense). They're blaming the wheels. They recommended running a spacer...
Old 10-31-2019, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

I've added a bunch of washers and I've stopped the tie rod from scraping but I've lost a ton of steering lock. I can't even make a u-turn on a four lane road anymore. I cut some 1/8" and 1/16" solid spacers out of aircraft aluminium that I'm going to try. I don't think they're going to cause a problem and I'll have my turning radius back. Hopefully the 1/16" spacer will be enough.

I'm pretty disappointed that Barnes made the tie rod so long. I know you want to have as little thread showing at each end but still. A little more would have been nice without any serious consequences. I have half a mind to saw off 1/2" of the tie rod myself.

Quick Reply: Using thin 1/8" wheel spacers