Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The value of a PowerAid Spacer

Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Value= Zero or scrap. Just as good as the fuel line magnets. I laugh at anyone who claims otherwise.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have one on my '94 fullsize Blazer. I noticed a difference in performance and mpg (extra 30 miles to the tank, documented). I put one on my JK, but when I took a look at the hose from the air box I had one of those, "you idiot." moments. The hose is ribbed, which adds plenty of turbulence. I bet the TBS really only works if you have an aftermarket intake with a slick metal pipe from the filter to the throttle body. The whine/whistle is made from the turbulent air... "that's how you know it's working."
Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by pt156
I didn't get my spacer for free, and - based on what I have read on several threads here - I am going to send it back. Who wants that whistle?

I'll install the Airaid CAI, though.
I have the Airaid and have the whistle, it's not too bad and I don't even really notice it anymore.

As for the spacer, I got mine free and immediately sold it on eBay for $70, that is what it was worth to me.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The entire concept on our engine type is worthless. If you actually LOOK at the flow from the unit, by the time it gets to where the fuel is injected, laminar flow, etc, has already occurred, and all you are doing is making a whistling noise on the way to oblivion.

Atomized FUEL is the phrase I think was meant by Atomized AIR....and, that's what a carburetor, and a fuel injector do....spray a fine mist of fuel...the smaller the droplets, the better.

They call the smaller droplets "Atomized" in marketing, as atoms are pretty small.

Obviously, if REALLY "Atomized", all you'd have is carbon atoms (Like soot) and hydrogen atoms (At least hydrogen CAN burn...), etc....not gasoline.

So, a blast of sooty hydrogen is not a good fuel...so atomizing the fuel would be pointless. They MEAN aerosolizing the gas, making the droplets SMALL....and, they do not have any impact upon this at all, as all of the turbulence is created at a place where its unable to impact the flow where the fuel is actually injected.

This might be a good thing of course, as that turbulence in a fuel injected engine would interfere with the design of the injection system, and hurt performance.

So, the description given applies vaguely to a carburated engine - where a spacer CAN actually work....but, it does NOT apply to a SMPFI engine in anyway shape or form.

IE: Its a load of horse shit being shoveled down our throats by marketing geniuses who figured out how to sell horseshoes to people with tires, now that the supply of people with horses is drying up.

Selling the spacers as a good luck charm to hang over your garage door makes as much sense, and is perhaps more honest.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TEEJ
IE: Its a load of horse shit being shoveled down our throats by marketing geniuses who figured out how to sell horseshoes to people with tires, now that the supply of people with horses is drying up.

Selling the spacers as a good luck charm to hang over your garage door makes as much sense, and is perhaps more honest.
That's probably one of the smartest things I've ever read.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure they're worth somethin......what's the goin rate for aluminum?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
This seems like a contradiction to me. How can you make something turbulent and speed it up at the same time? This theory just does not follow aerodynamic principles!

I work in Aerospace and can tell you this is a load of BS much like the BS infomercial about the Tornado fuel saver, these spacers do absolutely nothing that the intake is not already taking care of with airflow.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Sure they're worth somethin......what's the goin rate for aluminum?

Aparently around $74.95-$146.95 when it is anondized orange.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Aparently around $74.95-$146.95 when it is anondized orange.
LMAO!! Not from this white boy.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have both and only notice a whistle if I cruise around 10 MPH.

Quick Reply: The value of a PowerAid Spacer