Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Very interesting project

Old 10-30-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
Are you kidding me??

If you run a shop that does this kind of work for money, I would figure you would be able to easily answer these questions for yourself............

-No the stock axles will not hold up to 33" tires with some jumps, I doubt they could hold up to 33's and some small jumps with the factory minivan motor in there, let alone a 525Hp 6.4L Hemi.

-Just upgrading axle shafts isnt going to cut it. With such a substantial power plant mixed with dune jumping, you will need stronger housings and internals than the JK comes with. (But thats not all)

-If this was my project I would plan on spending a ton of money. Otherwise, something is going to get half-assed and you'll pay dearly for it later.

My guess is that you guys have no idea what you are doing and shouldnt be taking money from anyone, atleast not for this kind of work...........Either that or your a troll

Obviously your sensing some competition.. Which I can see from you signature.. “Peak Empire Racing”… Get over yourself.. No need to be rude.. Everyone has to learn at some point..

And actually your stock axles will hold up to a degree.. I had a TJ with a LS1 and Dana 30 and 35C axles.. Jumped it all the time at the sand dunes.. With 35" tires.. 40 -> 50 foot Jumps... Jumping in the sand is a lot different than jumping on hard pack..

Last edited by 1BADJK; 10-30-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pabust
No, i'm not. I'm not taking money from anyone, this is my customer's idea and we're looking at the options we have, besides why are you so rude? i think there's not a nice way to treat somebody who's new in this forums and that you didn't know, so i'll appreciate a bit more education please
You'll have to forgive some of the members of this group. Several seem to be old fuddy-duddies who's only contribution is to harass others. If your Jeep and your views don't match theirs, God help you.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Junkie

The extra weight of an upgraded engine + jumps will mean that the stock front axle (at the very least) will need to be upgraded.

As far as other mods, you should consider some modifications to the intake to keep particulates out of the engine... possibly a filtered snorkel?

You're going to want flotation tires for extreme sand running - sorry to be Mr. Obvious (probably goes without saying).

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
You're going to want flotation tires for extreme sand running - sorry to be Mr. Obvious (probably goes without saying).

Good luck!

You are right, around here we use some good wide tires:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GR-DC.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3974  
Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pabust
No, i'm not

I'm not taking money from anyone, this is my customer's idea and we're looking at the options we have, besides why are you so rude? i think there's not a nice way to treat somebody who's new in this forums and that you didn't know, so i'll appreciate a bit more education please
Sorry if I seemed a little rude, Ive just seen many instances to where a shop bites off more than it can chew and the customer ends up getting screwed. If I was a customer and went into an offroad shop to ask about getting this kind of work done, I wouldnt want them to have to get on a forum to answer such simple questions. This sort of knowledge is more on the lines of common sense.

Obviously your sensing some competition.. Which I can see from you signature.. “Peak Empire Racing”… Get over yourself.. No need to be rude.. Everyone has to learn at some point..

And actually your stock axles will hold up to a degree.. I had a TJ with a LS1 and Dana 30 and 35C axles.. Jumped it all the time at the sand dunes.. With 35" tires.. 40 -> 50 foot Jumps... Jumping in the sand is a lot different than jumping on hard pack..
Obviously your mistaken. Peak Empire Racing is not a shop, its a racing team. And as far as "everyone has to learn at some point" - that is my point exactly, you cant buy a set of tools and rent space in a warehouse and start accepting peoples money if you dont know what your doing. Now this might not be the case here, but thats just how I interpreted it. It would be different if this was a "customer" asking these sort of questions, they arnt expected to know.

I bet that if you went to some of the big offroad shops like Off Road Evolution, Burnsville, Poison Spyder Customs, BTF and the like that they would be able to tell you the answers to these questions without blinking; why........... cause its common knowledge.

Either way, sorry if I was rude.........

Last edited by wayoflife; 11-15-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad pabust, all of us Americans are rude and suspicious of strange questions regarding the durability of axles used for dune jumping. Personally, I wouldn't build up a big block 2 door JK to play in the sand because it will just end up rolling over. You need something that has a low center of gravity and a long wheelbase, maybe like say ahhh... a Sandrail?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
You need something that has a low center of gravity and a long wheelbase, maybe like say ahhh... a Sandrail?
We have to use a 4x4 vehicle as the rules dictate, we can't use sandrails.

Quick Reply: Very interesting project