Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Viper Throttle Body with Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Throttle Body with Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

I know this has been beaten to death but I havent found the answer that I am quite looking for. I have a 2009 Jeep wrangler x. It has an aem brute force intake and a dual exit magnaflow exhaust. It also the automatic transmission. Is anyone running a "viper" throttle body with the hypertech max energy programmer and are happy with it. I have read that the superchips with the throttle body can cause the engine to run too lean. Apparently the hypertech max energy programmer has a setting specifically for people who swap in the "viper" throttle body.
So I want to know:

How many miles have you put on the setup if you have it?
Have you seen any performance gains?
Is the engine running smoother?
Any engine codes? If so which ones?
And any change in gas mileage, for better or for worse?
Thank you guys!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

One thing you should know is this, with any vehicle make or model, excluding but also including diesels, you won't see but minimal if any gains with bolting on and flashing a canned tune. To get the full potential out of your mods you need to get your vehicle dyno tuned. Throwing money into bolt on performance mods and not getting it dyno tuned, is like installing 35s on 3.21s. You have the potential, but you lack the only thing holding that potential back. Always make sure to get your vehicle dyno tuned. You're a/f ratio is very important in the longevity of your motor. If you can get someone to datalog and get a street tune, you'll maximize your power and mileage.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Bump:
Anyone with experience of this setup though?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Viper throttle body with hypertech

I have a 2009 unlimited rubicon with Airaid intake, MBRP exhaust, and viper throttle body. I am running the hypertech with viper throttle body tune and premium fuel only option. I have put over 30000 miles on setup. Yes there is performance gains. The best way to explain it is simply better throttle response. The engine does run good with slightly different sound. No engine codes. Perhaps a small increase in mileage nothing substantial, but mileage absolutely did not decrease.

This is not going to be like a supercharger or hemi, but your jeep will drive better.

Originally Posted by ggilla614
I know this has been beaten to death but I havent found the answer that I am quite looking for. I have a 2009 Jeep wrangler x. It has an aem brute force intake and a dual exit magnaflow exhaust. It also the automatic transmission. Is anyone running a "viper" throttle body with the hypertech max energy programmer and are happy with it. I have read that the superchips with the throttle body can cause the engine to run too lean. Apparently the hypertech max energy programmer has a setting specifically for people who swap in the "viper" throttle body.
So I want to know:

How many miles have you put on the setup if you have it?
Have you seen any performance gains?
Is the engine running smoother?
Any engine codes? If so which ones?
And any change in gas mileage, for better or for worse?
Thank you guys!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bombout800
One thing you should know is this, with any vehicle make or model, excluding but also including diesels, you won't see but minimal if any gains with bolting on and flashing a canned tune. To get the full potential out of your mods you need to get your vehicle dyno tuned. Throwing money into bolt on performance mods and not getting it dyno tuned, is like installing 35s on 3.21s. You have the potential, but you lack the only thing holding that potential back. Always make sure to get your vehicle dyno tuned. You're a/f ratio is very important in the longevity of your motor. If you can get someone to datalog and get a street tune, you'll maximize your power and mileage.
X2... bolting on CAI, free flow exhaust, and larger throttle bodies have potential, but if your programmer was not programmed for your specific set-up then you could be losing power vs gaining power. I did several 0 to 45 runs as I added components and found a .25 second better with a CAI and free flow exhaust. What that means in hp is beyound me. Could I do better if I have it dyno tuned. Most definately!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What happens to us who does not have a dyno anywhere near me. 16 hrs or more away from one which includes a 7 hr ferry ride. I am exploring the vp throttle body, with AFE intake and exhaust, plus a diablo tuner with aev pro cal for other odds and ends. How will I make my jeep run right without a dyno?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion but I wouldn't waste money on a TB spacer or an CAI just not worth the money for what you get. Throw on an exhaust if you want a little different sound. Also if you buy a Diablo you don't need a procal.

Last edited by SpicedCrusher; 04-22-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Just my opinion but I wouldn't waste money on a TB spacer or an CAI just not worth the money for what you get. Throw on an exhaust if you want a little different sound. Also if you buy a Diablo you don't need a procal.
I want to change my lights as well as have steering wheel centering.

Quick Reply: Viper Throttle Body with Hypertech Max Energy Programmer