Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Want to boost engine power

Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adaycj
Read the quote, and look at the huge post of specs. See how the bore size (and a few other critical #s) are exactly the same. Now notice the stroke. The 4.0l Nitro engine is dimensionally a stroker as compared to the 3.8l. I have no idea if these engines are really the same at all, but it seems obvious to me that the one with nearly 60 more hp has a longer stroke and shares many other features.

As far as a statement, that post says volumes more than the allegedly "cold air" intake (CAI) and exhaust claims that continually come up. There seems to be no proof at all that these things can produce even a single digit increase in power. From what I can find 20 or 30 HP is a pipe dream.
Look at the 24 valves, the overhead camshafts, the compression ratio, etc. etc. They are not the same engine, the designs are all different.

The 3.8l engine has more in common with the 230 cu in buick V6 installed in the CJ5's.

I'd consider the exhaust and a modified CAI as free HP gains as they are budget priced and would have to be done somewhere or another as part of your maintenance. (meaning the exhaust would have to be replaced eventually and the air filter as well.)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a little more power as well. Here is what I am trying. I am installing a river raider snorkel to pull cooler air (the stock air box pulls from the engine compartment), putting in a replacement K&N filter, adding a cat back Borla exhaust, and using the Unichip programmer with the "Flux" option to manage my #'s. I should have it all done in a month.

If this doesn't give me the extra power I am looking for, I am going to bite the bullet and put a S/C on.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
First, remember that these engines seem to wake up after 3 or 5 thousand miles.
I'm interested in this statement. Mine has 2300 miles on it now, and I could swear that it's picked up a little in performance. The engine has broken in long ago, I would suspect. Could you expound a bit?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsokitsgot4wd
Your best bet would be to tear the motor down, completely. Knife edge the crank, run a forged rod and have some high domed forged pistons made by Wiseco, while your in theres maybe go .030 or .040 over, and modify the oil galleries and install piston squirters to keep the domes cool. Then port and polish the head, along wiht the combustion chamber, maybe run larger valves and do a port match on the bowls. Then add a hand fabricated manifold with two injectors per runner and a NOS wet manifold system, run a larger TB, and cap off the system with a ATI procharger and a liquid to air intercooler and a meaty VTA BOV. Balance and blueprint the whole assembly. Run a lightweight flywheel and a triple disc carbon clutch, also ditch the OEM engine management and drop in either a Motec or some tpe of stand alone engine mgmt system that you can run custom maps and can feather the NOS and boost along with staging the injectors through the revs range, Oh forgot to mention , do a wicked cam grind from Piper or Crane. Then beef up the trans by modifying the synchro bands and run steel inserts, and change the helical gears to straight cut rock crushers, or better yet, contact Ricardo and have them spec you out a 6 spd sequential box which will require a different shift assy in the cabin, or if your an auto guy, drop in a T-400 with a high stall torqu converter.
This should get you into the 500hp neighborhood and should be plenty

I am not afraid to say that I have very little idea what all this means and...it scares me.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsokitsgot4wd
Your best bet would be to tear the motor down, completely. Knife edge the crank, run a forged rod and have some high domed forged pistons made by Wiseco, while your in theres maybe go .030 or .040 over, and modify the oil galleries and install piston squirters to keep the domes cool. Then port and polish the head, along wiht the combustion chamber, maybe run larger valves and do a port match on the bowls. Then add a hand fabricated manifold with two injectors per runner and a NOS wet manifold system, run a larger TB, and cap off the system with a ATI procharger and a liquid to air intercooler and a meaty VTA BOV. Balance and blueprint the whole assembly. Run a lightweight flywheel and a triple disc carbon clutch, also ditch the OEM engine management and drop in either a Motec or some tpe of stand alone engine mgmt system that you can run custom maps and can feather the NOS and boost along with staging the injectors through the revs range, Oh forgot to mention , do a wicked cam grind from Piper or Crane. Then beef up the trans by modifying the synchro bands and run steel inserts, and change the helical gears to straight cut rock crushers, or better yet, contact Ricardo and have them spec you out a 6 spd sequential box which will require a different shift assy in the cabin, or if your an auto guy, drop in a T-400 with a high stall torqu converter.
This should get you into the 500hp neighborhood and should be plenty

Are you building a tuner car? HAHAHA
Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

''man'' Thats Waaay Deep Shit
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

''I Agree''
Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_crystal

I am not afraid to say that I have very little idea what all this means and...it scares me.
Aside from being a ridiculous statement, I don't think you should get it if your talking about a Jeep. That was a uneducated post to begin with. Maybe if we're talking about a real performance CAR. You're not driving an all out HP car. Aside from minimal gains from intake, exhaust, chips, and gears, you're looking at a supercharger, turbo, or Hemi. Going into this v6 engine is not worth it in any way. Especially in the reliability department.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Super Power JK

I think there was a "tounge-in-cheek" vibe to the V6 build-up above......these engines are never going to be barn burners, but IMHO there's nothing wrong with squeezing every bit of power and economy out of them. Better-flowing muffler, Airraid/K&N/Volant, Hypertech or Unichip programmer, and maybe some headers would probably be the extent of the basic bolt-on's that would do any good, short of a $5k supercharger install.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Smile Side effects of a supercharger

Thank you people for your response.

Some one suggested installing a supercharger and I just want to know what are the negative affects the supercharger will have on my Wrangler?

Quick Reply: Want to boost engine power