Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Want to boost engine power

Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Motor went BOOM, EATON supercharger w/ custom intake manifold still sitting in a crate. I've thought about putting it in mine.
A blower would be dang near bullitproof if you fire ringed the heads, used head studs and some high performance head gaskets. I'd never worry about head gasket issues then. I don't think there's anyone offering the gaskets or studs, though. Most any competent machine shop could fire ring the heads. If you did all that, and maybe added a really nice harmonic balancer and balanced the bottom end, you could probably run it balls to the wall....premium gas, of course. LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Motor went BOOM, EATON supercharger w/ custom intake manifold still sitting in a crate. I've thought about putting it in mine.
I'm assuming it required premium fuel? Was the timing backed down relative to boost (i.e. something like an MSD BTM?) What were you using for fuel enrichment?

I've thought about trying and adapting one of the many supercharger setups that are plentiful on GM 3.8's... heck the JK running an old minivan motor a mockup engine should be plentiful.

For the poster concerned about the TTY studs - I think you're slightly mis-informed about the engineering behind them and their strength/reliability potental (I say potential since I haven't studied this application in depth at all). I'd bet if you're really worried ARP can come up with something to solve that concern...

As far as running nitrous goes - it's a great cheap power adder, but like was touched on - it's ~$3/lb around here and a 10Lb bottle at 50Hp will last around what - 2 minutes of use? - that's 12 x 10-second shots and then you've got to get a fill - which is a pain if you're wanting the HP and you've got no bottle.... I run it on my S10 drag truck and only get ~6-7 passes out of a bottle... I bring 3 full bottles to the track when I go... it gets expensive to run nitrous a lot...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Fellers, we got tons of experience here, both from members and sponsors. Some of these sponsors are doing things with these Jeeps for the very first time. We have the advantage of of all of this experience right here in one place. I may have my big old "30 years experience", but that don't mean my experience is any better than anybody else's or vice versa. There's more than my way to skin a cat. We all can learn from each other, whether we're seasoned off roaders, mechanics, engineers, sales people, or whatever. We oughtta think along those lines the next time we start beatin the hound outta each other. LOL This has been a good thread. There's a bunch of good threads on this site. Cause there's a bunch of good people here.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
A blower would be dang near bullitproof if you fire ringed the heads, used head studs and some high performance head gaskets. I'd never worry about head gasket issues then. I don't think there's anyone offering the gaskets or studs, though. Most any competent machine shop could fire ring the heads. If you did all that, and maybe added a really nice harmonic balancer and balanced the bottom end, you could probably run it balls to the wall....premium gas, of course. LOL
If you're going that far - either open up the combustion chamber in the heads to reduce compression ratio or get some deeper dished forged pistons made up to take care of the compression ratio problem.

Honestly at low boost levels (5-7PSI) o-ringing the head is WAY overkill, and so are studs in most cases. remember at 7PSI you'll approximately double the crank HP (minus the loss caused by heating the intake charge and some is absorbed driving the supercharger...)

Wonder if something similar to an STS rear-mount turbo setup could be fabbed - wouldn't be good for off-road (bashing on the rocks) but for the street it might be a great choice - intercool it for low intake temps and I bet the detonation problem almost goes away...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bwiencek
If you're going that far - either open up the combustion chamber in the heads to reduce compression ratio or get some deeper dished forged pistons made up to take care of the compression ratio problem.

Honestly at low boost levels (5-7PSI) o-ringing the head is WAY overkill, and so are studs in most cases. remember at 7PSI you'll approximately double the crank HP (minus the loss caused by heating the intake charge and some is absorbed driving the supercharger...)

Wonder if something similar to an STS rear-mount turbo setup could be fabbed - wouldn't be good for off-road (bashing on the rocks) but for the street it might be a great choice - intercool it for low intake temps and I bet the detonation problem almost goes away...

Not with aluminum heads. They gotta have studs to keep from movin around. I'm not talking about regular o rings. I'm talking about fire rings, like for heavy turboed diesels. Those are different. Damn right it's overkill. I wouldn't wanna do it but once. And after you did, you could run 20 PSI if you felt like it. LMAO I completely agree about the lower ratio forged pistons. I was takin that part for granted that yall would know. You did. I've always been a fan of very low static compression blower motors. I mean, if you're gonna spend five grand on a blower, and run it at a pansy ass under drive, what's the point? Run 7.0 to 1 and SPIN the HELL outta the blower. LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

you do not need studs for aluminum heads. there are plenty of people running at a conservative boost level and a good tune with tty bolts without any problems.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by alz06
you do not need studs for aluminum heads. there are plenty of people running at a conservative boost level and a good tune with tty bolts without any problems.

You might not need um in your motor, but if I ever build another blower motor (that'll be number 14) it'll have studs, just like all the rest.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't believe all this engine talk. We are on a Jeep Jk forum right If I wanted a high HP jeep I would have gotten an old CJ and did a nice LS2 set up. I knew these JK's were dogs but they are very capable off road so why not cool the intake charge, free up the exhuast, retune the comp. and enjoy your jeep on the trails which is where it really shines. If you want a performance jeep for the street pumping out 300-400hp get the SRT8 cherokee. JMO
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by j&k'sjk
I can't believe all this engine talk. We are on a Jeep Jk forum right If I wanted a high HP jeep I would have gotten an old CJ and did a nice LS2 set up. I knew these JK's were dogs but they are very capable off road so why not cool the intake charge, free up the exhuast, retune the comp. and enjoy your jeep on the trails which is where it really shines. If you want a performance jeep for the street pumping out 300-400hp get the SRT8 cherokee. JMO
As has kinda been my whole point. To get the combination to a "reliable" level just requires all kinda stuff, that , by the time you got done, you couldda hadda V8......to coin the phrase.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

I hate to see guys pop off about some on here suggesting hemi swaps. I have a 6.1 in mine and it's freakin insane. I guess this naysayer hasen't actually driven one or seen one in person so really his rant is very un-educated. To each their own...... don't be a hatta on what others do out of creativity and fun. If you ever in my parts I'll be glad to take you for a spin and probably hear a similar response as others before...... Holy SHiiiT
Use this forum to spread knowledge, cheer and helpfull insight..

Quick Reply: Want to boost engine power