Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warn Differential Skid Plate

Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Differential Skid Plate

I'm considering this differential skid plate by Warn. I have a couple of questions about it. Does it protect UNDERNEATH the differential? Since it is called a "skid plate", I would expect it to wrap around under the differential a bit, but it doesn't really look like it does in the picture. Obviously I would have to remove the lower bolts on the differential to install this. Is that going to cause all of the oil to drain out of the differential? If so, would I need a new gasket before putting it back together.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Oops! Here's the picture!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Warn.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	625  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont think any manufacturer makes a differential skid that actually wraps around the lip. The actualy differential housing is pretty strong and will handle pretty much as much as you can throw at it. Skids are to strengthen the cover. They all seem to work pretty well, but I prefer the crane high clearance or blue torch fabrication covers. Crane makes a cover that is designed to protect the lip really well and the blue torch covers are really beefy too. There are a lot of good options on this one and I think you can never really go wrong with diff covers/skids!

Living Still
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually there is on company who makes a skid that protects under the diff. and allows it to slide over obstacles. It's called the Rock-It. It works, but eventually it ends up taking the shape of you diff. Here's a pic. I know Q-tec sells them, I'm not sure who else.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by POTO
Actually there is on company who makes a skid that protects under the diff. and allows it to slide over obstacles. It's called the Rock-It. It works, but eventually it ends up taking the shape of you diff. Here's a pic. I know Q-tec sells them, I'm not sure who else.
I was also considering the Rock-It skid like you posted. I had a similar product on my old YJ, and it worked pretty well. Does anyone know if these Rock-It skidplates are vehicle specific? I know I read that with the type like the Warn one (above), the one made for a Dana 44 will fit all Dana 44's. I kind of had the idea that these Rock-It one's are vehicle specific, and so there might not be one available for the JK's yet.

Quick Reply: Warn Differential Skid Plate