Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Wireless Remote

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Wireless Remote

I'll post a write up of this within the next few days when I have finished connecting everything up.

In the meantime, can anyone who has one advise me if they leave their WIRELESS remote permanently connected to their Warn winch (mine's a Ti).

For the WIRED remote, it's obvious that this is removed when not in use. In the manual there are a number of safety related notices which indicate why it is a bad idea to have the WIRED remote permanently connecting. Aside from the obvious, the possibility of accidentally actuating the winch is cited as a potential safety problem.

For the WIRELESS set up, I'm looking at having the wireless receiver mounted under the dash. From there it's a simple job to route the wire and plug in the receiver to the body of the winch. The question is, can I just leave this plugged in safely all the time.

If I unplug it, I'm left with a dangling plug in the front bumper which I don't like (unless there is some way of leaving it all wired up and somehow switching it off when it is not in use). On the other hand, if there is any risk of accidental winch activation with this set-up, I'd really like to avoid it.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Warn power interrupt kit as well. It would seem to be a good idea in the setup you're proposing.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I leave mine plugged in all the itme and I have never had a problem. I mounted my co0ntrol pack under the hood on top of the fuse box.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

Sorry for the tardy reply to your reponses. I had the week off work and was in the garage/outside with the Jeep and didn't turn the computer on :.

Thanks to both tgrt and rickc309 for the suggestion of the Warn power interrupt kit. I wasn't aware of that product so will look it up and think about hgetting one. AFter I fitted the winch, it occured to me that if for any reason the power feed cable to the winch became compromised and shorted on the frame then that would be bad (no fuse and directly linked to the battery) so I was thinking about options along the lines of a double batter tray and some sort of isolator anyway.

As it happens, when I fitted the remote, the clearance between the front grille and the remote plug is very tight so for the time being I have it unplugged and loosely tied down inside the bumper which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when I first set everything up.

The wireless remote rocks

PeeJ-Zip - thanks for the idea of mounting the remote on top of the fuse box. I didn't think of that (wish I had) and instead screwed the remote to the platic separator in fron tof the brake masert cylinder. That worked out pretty well but it's very tight to drill so took me a while with the flexible bit on the dremel to get the holes done right.

Cheers,

Steve

Quick Reply: Warn Wireless Remote