Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wasted '07 JK Wrangler Driveshaft

Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wasted '07 JK Wrangler Driveshaft

This isn't my JK (as I'm now equipped with spanky new Tom Woods drivetrains front and rear ), but here's an interesting blog post from JP Magazine that should provoke you to think about just how long you want to risk running those stock rezeppa joint equipped drive shafts on your lifted Jeep.

blogs.jpmagazine.com/6272152/editorials/wasted-07-jk-wrangler-driveshaft/index.html

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 05-05-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 05-05-2010, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

This is my opinion. I believe it has a lot to do with the way you use your jk offroad. Like the article said, theirs didn't start going till the boot tore off. I have friends with 70,000+ miles with 4" susp lift and 35's still running the stock drive shaft with no indication of going bad. Maybe it has to do with the brand lift you have, I'm just going to run mine till it breaks.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the shaft looks like it came off of a 2-door and the article says they had 3" of lift. at this height, the shaft sits at a much steeper angle than stock and this puts the CV boots into a contstant state of pinch. this in turn causes the boots to fail prematurely and once it does, all the grease inside comes out and it's just a matter of time before the bearing inside fail as well. this is has nothing to do with how you use your jeep off road and this is not an opinion. this is a problem we have been seeing for the last 3 years and something you can find tons of posts on here. on a 4-door, it's not a problem but the thin shaft itself is, i have seen them twist off too. upgrading to a 1310 or 1350 u-joint style shafts is something that people should want.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Like jgk, my front drive shaft went before the rear on my 2-door; I replaced the rear at the same time though, I like the insurance.

I understand the "run it 'til it breaks" mindset, but that option doesn't work for me. I spend two weeks of hard earned vacation time a year to do the harder trails in Moab and Colorado in a pair of week-long Jeep trips, one in the summer and another in the fall. I live in Nebraska, the middle of flyover country. This means I have to drive a LONG way (no trailering) to get to my destination.

So in the final analysis, when I'm on a 7-8 or 9 rated trail 14 hours from home, running anything less than a set of well crafted aftermarket 1310s is arguably the most intelligent option.

Quick Reply: Wasted '07 JK Wrangler Driveshaft