Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weird Engine Clicking Noise, thoughts??

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Engine Clicking Noise, thoughts??

So i get into my jeep this morning and start it up and heard an odd clicking/grinding noise. i was on an empty tank so i drove to the gas station and filled it all the way up. when i started it up with the full tank the noise got worse so i decided to head to a mechanic... on the way there (over the course of ONE mile) it got substantially worse and ended up dying at the corner of the street where the shop was. If the shop was ANY farther away i wouldnt have made it haha.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Dropped it off and hoping for the best. I took some videos on the way to the shop, any thoughts?? (The crusty old mechanic thought it was the COOLEST thing that i took videos on the drive over haha)

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTOknqdhGEA
Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

oh and the oil pressure is fine by the way. so its not that.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Need a few more details on this one. What year, mileage, etc. I've had a clicking noise which turned out to be the lifters knocking from a serious lack of oil. The oil gauge was dead wrong on mine. There was enough to make the engine work but 2 quarts is still a serious issue!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

oil gauge was way off. low oil and engine failed. just a matter of time till the piston head projectiles out of the motor so i cant drive it. needs engine rebuild or replacement. they weren't specific on which parts need replacement. quoted at $3700 all in.

fair price?

how much to throw a hemi in there??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5665.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	514741

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	514742

Name:	IMG_5625.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	514743

Last edited by MurphyJK; 12-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird Engine Clicking Noise, thoughts??