Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

weird uneven tire wear

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
What you have is called tire scallop, not cupping. Cupping is cause by an overly out of balance condition and is extremely rare for modern radial belted tires. It is almost non existant anymore. Tire scallop is caused by the normal condition of tires being on the front too long (lack of rotation), or the abnormal condition of too much or too little toe. I never have figured out why people spend thousands of dollars on tires and not maintained them properly. Must have lots more money than I.
Cupping, dipping, scalloping, isn't all basically the same ?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't put that spare up front, or it will pull when you put on the brakes. Put it in back, and the backs on the front. Well, this assumes you have not run that spare. If you have, it won't be as big of an issue.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Cupping, dipping, scalloping, isn't all basically the same ?
Cupping does look different. The swampers on my J10 do it bad, as they are Bias Ply tires. Makes them really loud when it happens! My brother claims I sound like a B17 driving down the HWY.

The every other lug wearing is different. Its also pretty common on Baja Claws. I am not sure what tires the OP is running. But if they are claws, I am not surprised.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Seems odd only one front tire is doing it, usually it would be both front tires due to lack of rotation. After you rotate get it on one of those fancy alignment machines and see where you at along with a tire balance.jmo.
i got to thinking, can't the ball joints cause allignment issues?

i just went out and checked some stuff, the bar conecting the "c" on each side i can move by hand with a rotating motion but no side to side or upward type movement. (if u understand what im syain) and the bar connecting pass side up to steering same thing with movement but harder to move on that one.

evrything is adjustable, so just maybe i need to adjust evrything? just my thought process because there is a reason the tire wore liek it did, i just dont know why.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by captjay
i got to thinking, can't the ball joints cause allignment issues?

i just went out and checked some stuff, the bar conecting the "c" on each side i can move by hand with a rotating motion but no side to side or upward type movement. (if u understand what im syain) and the bar connecting pass side up to steering same thing with movement but harder to move on that one.

evrything is adjustable, so just maybe i need to adjust evrything? just my thought process because there is a reason the tire wore liek it did, i just dont know why.
You talkin about your drag link and tierod?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Some basic info

Maintaining a Tire

What You Can Do
Tire Inflation
Checking Tire Tread
What a Professional Should Do
Tire Balancing
Vehicle Alignment
Tire Rotation
Repairing Tires

Tire Inflation
Proper tire inflation is a key ingredient in driving safety and long tire life. It is wise to check your tire's inflation at least once a month with an accurate tire pressure gauge. Continuous loss of inflation pressure is an indication of a possible tire/wheel assembly problem; consult your tire professional immediately if you encounter this situation. Be sure to check the pressure while the tires are cold, and have not been used recently. If you drive even a mile this will cause your tire pressure to increase and give you an inaccurate reading.
Back to the top

Checking Tire Tread
There are two popular ways for checking to see if there is enough tread on your tires. All passenger, light truck, and medium commercial tires have tread wear indicator bars molded into the tread. These bars are located at the bottoms of the tread grooves in several locations around the tire, and when the tire is worn to the point where any of them become visibly flush with the adjacent tread ribs, it is time to replace the tire. Another easy way to check that your tire has enough tread remaining is to place a penny in the tread with Lincoln's head upside down and facing you. if you can see the top of Lincoln's head it is time to replace your tires. Wear On Both Edges: UNDER INFLATION If a tire looks like this, it may be under inflated. The worst enemy a tire can have is too little inflation pressure. Under inflation reduces treadlife through increased tread wear on the outside edges (or shoulders) of the tire. It also generates excessive heat which reduces tire durability. Finally, it reduces fuel economy through increased rolling resistance (soft tires makes your vehicle work harder). Check your tires regularly for proper inflation. Abnormal tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

Wear In Center: OVER INFLATION When a tire is over inflated, the center of the tread bears most of the load and wears out faster than the outside edges. Uneven wear reduces the useful life of a tire. Check your tires regularly for proper inflation. Abnormal tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

Cups or Dips in the tread: WORN PARTS Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is most common on front tires, though rear tires can cup as well. It may be a sign that wheels are out of balance or that suspension or steering system parts are worn out.
Sawtooth edges: MISALIGNMENT Do the edges of the tread take on a sawtooth or feathered appearance? This is caused by erratic scrubbing against the road. The solution is toe-in or toe-out alignment correction.

Proper tread depth is essential for proper tire performance. If you notice a loss or change in wet traction, you may not have enough tread left on your tires. Once the tread depth reaches 1/16th of an inch it must be replaced.
Back to the top
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

You talkin about your drag link and tierod?
yea, brain fart here
Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

thanks mk

great info. well seeing that it can be a few things, i thnik i will just get the whole front end checked out.

well spring is around the corner and i go over evrything before the season begins, it will just be a little early this year
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Get the pro alignment, dynamic balance, and rotation and go from there. Keep the readout from the alignment for before and after and post it up. A GOOD alignment guy should be able to tell where your prob is. Balance and rotate them tires every 3000 m, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Ya know, it might be that RE kit your runnin causin this.

Quick Reply: weird uneven tire wear