Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

weird uneven tire wear

Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Get the pro alignment, dynamic balance, and rotation and go from there. Keep the readout from the alignment for before and after and post it up. A GOOD alignment guy should be able to tell where your prob is. Balance and rotate them tires every 3000 m, it'll be worth it in the long run.
thanks again, i check everything else on a regular basis but some reason just dont think about tires alot of times. i got a GOOD allignment guy in town

but us florida boys just wanna wheel, surf, sun and beach and sometimes forget about the rest
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Ya know, it might be that RE kit your runnin causin this.
ok see now this whole time i was being nice, since me a Fl boy and u well uhhh La and here u go AGAIN rippin on the RE guy.

just wait, im getting back offshore later this year in La and when i get time off, we just might have to wheel sometime and show u what RE can really do. but im not going to break anything this time.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a question...once you start to feel a little shimmy from your tires wearing a little bad can they smooth out after the rotate and balance, cause my tires were vibrating at around 55 and i just got the rotated and balanced but they still vibrate a little, will it smooth out?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TAMU Jeeper
Ive got a question...once you start to feel a little shimmy from your tires wearing a little bad can they smooth out after the rotate and balance, cause my tires were vibrating at around 55 and i just got the rotated and balanced but they still vibrate a little, will it smooth out?
Most of the time once they are rotated, the bad ones that were up front will even back out once in back. So long as the balance is good. If you notice a large amount of weight on one side of the wheel, you may want to have the tire shop rotate the tire on the rim, as the rim may have a balance issue as well. Another thing to look into is where the weights are. Only having weights on the inside for instance can mean the tire is not balanced the best it could be. Where as having weights on the outside and inside is best.

Last edited by Stuka; 01-25-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotcha, i had discount tire put the weights on the inside to clean up the look, but if the shimmy doesnt smooth out ill have them do whatever they need to do, only time will tell.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Cups or Dips in the tread: WORN PARTS Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) ...
I don't want to appear to be arguing with Redneck (he's a pretty smart guy about mechanics!), but I, too, have always heard the terms used interchangeably. That doesn't mean it's so--it may mean there are a lot of us who don't understand the minute differences. For my purposes, I was rotating the tires by the maintenance guide and suffered cupping/scalloping/whatever. Took that tire off and three problems went away: Pulling to that side, loud rumble when moving, and vibration at 55-60 mph that went away at higher speeds. Visually inspected the tire and there are about eight or ten weights obviously missing. Right now it's on the spare; I need to get it to a shop to rebalance.

Quick Reply: weird uneven tire wear