Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding cost question

Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welding cost question

I,
Iv got some used LOD sliders im going to refinish and install. I wanted to ask the community here what they feel a fair price to have them welded on would be. Just want a figure to work with if/when i shop it around my area for welders. I dont know anyone with a welder. Maybe someone on here in my neck of the woods would be interested?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

I don't know what the fair rates are as I do all my own welding, but I can tell you there is far more time in prepping the area than the welding itself. You can probably save yourself some coin by doing this par t of the job.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where do you live exactly? I weld and would help you if you're not too far away.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chef,

I think if I remember you are in Norcal? check in on the Norcal section and see if someone is having an install party that has welding skills.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Im gonna buy my own welder. Cant wait. Then I can make and add just about anything to my jeep
Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Im gonna buy my own welder. Cant wait. Then I can make and add just about anything to my jeep
best thing you can have along side the JK. I have a 110v lincoln wire feed and make everything myself. I have made my own hi-lift mount and my 1/4" plate winch mount with ease and a bunch of other stuff as well. They are cheap and pay for themselves fast.

Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the good advice guys. And thank u for the offer 5150 but im up in the sf east bay. Appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost of welding? I would say it's equal to the cost of a welder and accessories...
Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Now that is something I was wondering in the back of my head. I may just go that route. I am not familiar with welding much, could anyone provide a bare essentials shopping list for welding supplies? Also, where to get at best price?
Using welding sliders to the frame as an example..
Old 06-19-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Now that is something I was wondering in the back of my head. I may just go that route. I am not familiar with welding much, could anyone provide a bare essentials shopping list for welding supplies? Also, where to get at best price?
Using welding sliders to the frame as an example..
You can get a flux core wire feed setup pretty cheap that will weld most of what you would weld to a JK pretty reasonably. Most of them can be upgraded to use gas should you choose to go that route later. If you want to keep it real simple you can get a tombstone type stick welder (I use an old lincoln) for around $200. Bare essentials besides the welder and electrodes are a hood (I use the harbor freight auto darkening one), gloves, a welding brush, a chipping hammer if you stick weld, and an angle grinder (with brushes ,grinding and sanding wheels).

Quick Reply: Welding cost question