Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I need to keep my MPG when going bigger?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to keep my MPG when going bigger?

Okay. I need help everyone. Guide me through the set up because I'm definitely going to commit now.

If I go with an Old Man Emu (OME) lift, honestly, what other upgrades should I look into in order to keep my JK stable and driving straight when on asphalt, but maintain off road dominance?

If I go with like 34" or 35" tires, honestly, what drivetrain upgrades should I be looking into in order to keep my factory miles per gallon (MGP) -- 15 city 19 highway give or take?

JK Current Specs:

Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio
Dana 44 rear w/ 3.73 gear ratio
Auto 2dr JK
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
If I go with like 34" or 35" tires, honestly, what drivetrain upgrades should I be looking into in order to keep my factory miles per gallon (MGP) -- 15 city 19 highway give or take?
A flatbed trailer and a 3/4 ton Cummins.

Seriously, you will lose a little any way you look at it. MT's will cost you a couple of MPG, and bigger tires (and possibly heavier wheels) will also cost you. Then there is the increased drag from lifting it, and weight from bumpers, skids, etc.

Your best shot of not losing too much is to regear.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what MOWrangler said. you're kidding yourself if you think you will be able to retain factory mpg. the best you can do is limit the amount of loss you have.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For gearing on the HWY with 34-35's, I would go with 4.56's. Other will say to go lower, but you will sacrafice mileage for power. In my experience, 4.56's are perfectly fine with 35's.

Get adjustable control arms for up front, so you can set your caster to be as perfect as you can get. Get adjustable track bars so you can center the axles back up after the lift. These will make it drive nicely.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I already have 33's and a 2"BB and everything is perfect. I haven't seen an once drop in MPG. Also, I already have both front and rear steel bumpers. I just want to go bigger.

I mean, WOL... when people go with 37" tires, what MPG are they getting? There's gotta to be a way. I knew one guy who had a Tacoma with 40's, and was getting 16 city, 19/20 highway because he worked his gearing and a few other things.

I wouldn't go as far to say I'm kidding myself in retaining factory MPG. I mean I know for a fact that offroading I get like 13mpg and 14/15 city and like 17/18 highway. I understand that size and weight affect aerodynamics and MPG.

Last edited by RN M OVR; 03-16-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I was thinking move to mars. The gravity is less and the atmosphere offers less resistance.

Quick Reply: What do I need to keep my MPG when going bigger?