Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What I just went through with my ball joints...

Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I just went through with my ball joints...

So, let me start by saying I live on Long Island new york, that has to contribute to the rust we get around here.

Anyway, I started (and finished with) my driver side upper and lower. It took me 5 hours to do one side. I used a harbor freight ball joint press WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE. The C bent and the portion of the rod where you put the wrench stripped with no effort. I had to use a pipe wrench. (Harbor freight will be seeing me in there store for a refund)

I also managed to snap a 3/4" drive craftsman wrench and bend a 1/4" craftsman wrench which also shredded the internals.

All the above occurred trying to get the lower ball joint out. None of it worked. At this point I was obviously beyond the point of no return. After all other efforts were exhausted, I used an Oxy-cutting torch to bore a hole in the center of the joint and turn it entirely red hot to where I was able to smash it out with a BFH.

After getting the new joints in and putting it all back together, something feels strange while driving and is maybe making a clunking noise. I don't know how thats even possible it only goes back together one way... But maybe I am just paranoid after the frustration I went through.

Anyone have any tips for me to try on the other side... Assuming I didn't mess this one up as is.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check side to side movement on the new joints. It could be possible that you heated the knuckle too hott and deformed that hole a little. Then again I'm really only speculating.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Check side to side movement on the new joints. It could be possible that you heated the knuckle too hott and deformed that hole a little. Then again I'm really only speculating.
It took A LOT of force to get that new joint in there I don't see how it could possibly move. By side movement do you mean jack it up and push the top and bottom of the tire in and out?

I focused all the heat only on the joint I was removing.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Good god... Im from mn so were in similar enviroments. Usually more salt on the road than snow. lol With that said... i will be replacing my Ball joints in the next week as well. May god give me strength! Is a ball joint press really required? Never done them before :(
Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tklein42
... Is a ball joint press really required? Never done them before :(
Not going to say that no one has ever done it without, but your life will be way easier if you have one. You can "rent" one (for free usually) from many auto parts stores. Typically they don't come with the adapters for the slanted angle of the JK ball joints. However, folks have used washers/plates of metal to jerry-rig it into working. You may find this helpful ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf77O90BwKc Head to 3:20 to see what I mean about the plate of metal. If you buy a ball joint press, you may as well buy one with the correct adapters.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it's required. I'd recommend soaking the joints for a good 24 hrs before attempting to press them out. They will make a man out of you if they are rusted in

As for the clunking I'd get the other side done before I was too worried.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

[QUOTE="tklein42;3794007" Is a ball joint press really required? Never done them before :([/QUOTE]

I'd be that someone who Mark is talking about. I don't even remember how we did it, but we removed and installed them with a vice and a big friendly hammer. Took nearly all day to do 2 though, so it would've helped to have a ball joint press. Then again, they had 20 years of rust fighting to keep them in :slap:
Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Haha I'll take everyones advice. Get a press finish early and enjoy beers Saturday afternoon instead of cussing at ball joints lol
Old 12-27-2013, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Anyone know what my problem may be
Old 12-27-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
Anyone know what my problem may be
As BrowniesJK wrote: Do the other side. And while you've got it up, rock the tires back and forth, top/bottom, left/right, look over the tie rod and drag link, and see if anything suspicious comes up. What brand are your new BJs?

Quick Reply: What I just went through with my ball joints...