Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What lifts void factory warranty

Old 01-18-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lifts void factory warranty

I have an 08 rubi and would like to know what kind of lifts i can put on it without voiding my factory warranty. Everytime i ask my incompetent dealer he tells me something different because he is to lazy to find out. Im not worried about voiding my suspension warranty, just the drivetrain. Im looking for something around 4" with 35 to 37" tires, but if i have to go with a 2" thats what ill do because i cant afford to lose my lifetime warranty. Also does anyone know if crysler will have any warranty issues with 4.88 gears.

I would appreciate it if someone had a definitive answer instead of the random hearsay crap answers that i get from my dealer. Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dealer told me im safe up to 4" due to the fact that with 4" i would definatly have to change the driveshafts and if anything went wrong the blame could be put on the modded shafts
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer tells me 2" BB with 35s one week, then the next week he will tell me 3" suspension is fine ...so i have no clue who to listen to
Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

No lift voids your warranty. The parts you change are not covered. It is up to the manufacturer to PROVE that what you change caused the problem. The dealer cannot say your new driveshaft caused your transmission to fail. They have to prove it. it is calle the Magnusson-Moss act. Most don't realize this and say ok, I'm screwed and get charged when it should have been covered.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
No lift voids your warranty. The parts you change are not covered. It is up to the manufacturer to PROVE that what you change caused the problem. The dealer cannot say your new driveshaft caused your transmission to fail. They have to prove it. it is calle the Magnusson-Moss act. Most don't realize this and say ok, I'm screwed and get charged when it should have been covered.
If thats true and my dealer says i voided my warranty, then how would i go about proving him wrong. I understand what you are saying but there is only one jeep dealership up here in Anchorage, AK... so what their service department (which is pretty stubborn, lazy, and somewhat dumb) says is what goes. Would i have to get a lawyer, or just contact chrysler about it?? Also what about changing my gears to 4.88, would that effect anything.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do a lift and larger tires you will void your warranty. The the Dealer/ DC can say the larger tires put stress on the engine/ transmission/ u-joints/ gears.

Thats what my Dealer told me. Its not the lift but the larger tires they will point to.

I think some Dealers will work with you so just just ask around. But remember when your tranny or engine goes out under the lifetime warranty DC has the final call on coverage not the Dealer.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IndianaJK
If you do a lift and larger tires you will void your warranty. The the Dealer/ DC can say the larger tires put stress on the engine/ transmission/ u-joints/ gears.

Thats what my Dealer told me. Its not the lift but the larger tires they will point to.

I think some Dealers will work with you so just just ask around. But remember when your tranny or engine goes out under the lifetime warranty DC has the final call on coverage not the Dealer.
If thats true then what size of tires void the warranty
Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Dealer said anything different than stock size. I plan on running 33's with and puting the stockers back on if I have a warranty issue. I don't want to hear any bs from my Dealer.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Warranty

Sorry boys, IGOFSHN is right........your dealer must "prove" a direct cause/effect to attempt not to uphold your warranty. NO lift voids your warrantly directly. Just stay friendly with your dealer if you have problems, and if they refuse, try another dealer.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

You people need to stop listening to some idiot service writer. A LIFT DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Tell them that you are familiar with the Magnusson-Moss act and you want proof that your mods caused the problem. If he cannot provide proof tell him you are prepared to get an attorney. He will definately change his toon.

Quick Reply: What lifts void factory warranty