Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what size mig ?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Home Depot stores rent tools. Other stores also. You might want to stop by one and check them out before making a decision. Since you only plan to use it very occasionally it might be better renting one.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Friends? What are those?lol my wife and I are long-haul truckers and dont see home for a month or two at a time. I plan projects and order parts while we're rolling down the road and go home to a HUGE pile of boxes,lol. Up until now I've been paying a welding shop to do the work but it adds up after awhile.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HF 170 amp mig/flux welder for $199 plus tax. I also paid $36 for a 2 year warrenty. It has been welding fine for me. If it craps out after the two years I will get another.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob-o
I got a Hobart 140 from Northern Tool for $500 and so far I welded my EVO sleeves and gussets and made my own rock sliders with them. Everything works great, bought a bottle of 75% argon 25% oxygen for $150 and the welds come out bitching
bringing this thread back to life...

Hey bob-o, so with the Hobart 140 you didn't have any issues welding to the C's or other areas of the axle (if welding 1/4" brackets, etc.)? I've seen some vids with this unit on 1/4" and if it wasn't hot enough, worse case they did another pass but was just curious if you used it for other projects also.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
bringing this thread back to life...

Hey bob-o, so with the Hobart 140 you didn't have any issues welding to the C's or other areas of the axle (if welding 1/4" brackets, etc.)? I've seen some vids with this unit on 1/4" and if it wasn't hot enough, worse case they did another pass but was just curious if you used it for other projects also.

Thanks in advance!
I have a Hobart Handler 210 and when using 120v (when 220 is not available) I believe it puts out 135A. I was able to get good enough penetration to weld on Evo C Gussets. If your wary, pull the ball joints and preheat the C a bit. With 140A FCAW will definitely penetrate.

On another note I only bought my welder to do the Front axle and eventually setup for coilovers. Once you figure it out, it's so addictive! I've done carts, tables, fixed skids & mounts and am working on an expedition trailer from scratch! So you may want to buy a little more than what you think you need for this one job!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I have a Hobart Handler 210 and when using 120v (when 220 is not available) I believe it puts out 135A. I was able to get good enough penetration to weld on Evo C Gussets. If your wary, pull the ball joints and preheat the C a bit. With 140A FCAW will definitely penetrate.

On another note I only bought my welder to do the Front axle and eventually setup for coilovers. Once you figure it out, it's so addictive! I've done carts, tables, fixed skids & mounts and am working on an expedition trailer from scratch! So you may want to buy a little more than what you think you need for this one job!
Hey Ajkaz, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, on the vid I saw he actually did a couple of runs on 1/4" to 1/4" and by the 2nd run since the metal was already hot, his 2nd weld was pretty good.

I'm looking at C's, control arm skids front and rear, plus I'd like to make a hinged top for my m416 trailer with some other add-ons for a propane tank, etc. so it would definitely get more use from just the front axle. Yeah, I can see myself being that guy that gets hooked and wants to try and weld everything

That 120/230 option on the 210 is nice. If I go that route I might have to ask my neighbor who's an electrician to set me up with a 230 outlet in the garage or use the dryer outlet lol
Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Hey Ajkaz, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, on the vid I saw he actually did a couple of runs on 1/4" to 1/4" and by the 2nd run since the metal was already hot, his 2nd weld was pretty good.

I'm looking at C's, control arm skids front and rear, plus I'd like to make a hinged top for my m416 trailer with some other add-ons for a propane tank, etc. so it would definitely get more use from just the front axle. Yeah, I can see myself being that guy that gets hooked and wants to try and weld everything

That 120/230 option on the 210 is nice. If I go that route I might have to ask my neighbor who's an electrician to set me up with a 230 outlet in the garage or use the dryer outlet lol
If you go the dual voltage welder route lincoln also makes a nice 180A. Just remember a used or refurbished American welder is better than a new chinese welder. Also if you need to resell it you can get top dollar for it on craigslist. If you go 120v get something at 140A it's worth it.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:08 AM
JK Freak

I welded mine with a HH140 using fluxcore.

In my mind - gussets are reinforcing and not supporting the weight and stress of the jeep. I'm not too worried. Cranked up and using shielded wire is plenty good in my mind. Plus, you're able to get into tighter places, weld upside down, and vertical easier using fluxcore. At least I can. I use gas when I can - just not when I'm tying to get the max out of the welder.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluxcore is a good idea if running a 140 unit. I would not short circuit solid wire on a unit that size.

Fluxcore is a very misunderstood process. It is the deepest penetrating process. So why is flux able to weld thicker metal given the same size welding unit? Fluxcore wire is hollow and the flux is inside (deoxidizers, etc.). Because it is hollow, electrons travel down the inside and outside of the wire vs. only the outside on solid wire. So, less resistance and more amps.

Amps vs. volts: easy analogy is to think of a garden hose. Volts is water pressure. So if you stick a hose in a pool and turn the water on, you can envision how far the stream would go into the pool. Amps are volume. If you are using a garden hose to heat a pool, it won't happen. You need a fire hose. Same is true of welding. Using a 140 unit with solid wire on an axle is like using a garden hose to heat a pool. Larger wire also increase the max amperage of the wire (more surface area).

Guys use a 140 unit and say it's fine. Cool. It wouldn't come close to passing an AWS test. Unless you use the fluxcore process, which would get it done.

Most important is that you're a competent welder. You can lay welds all day long, but if not done properly there will not be fusion and you may as well super glue metal together.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have welded with everything from 90 amp sheet metal machines to big 300 amp plus machines. From my experience I would never weld anything critical with a 120v welder. Although many are rated to 3/16, i feel they only get good penetration to 1/8". With most welding on a jeep being 3/16-1/4", they simply don't have the power. Can you weld and hold two pieces together, yes. Did it achieve proper penetration, no. Anything you are welding on your jeep(bumpers, tire carrier, gussets, suspension, etc) is all critical.

Quick Reply: what size mig ?