Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What would be a good 2.5 lift for a 2dr JK? help

Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Rough Country 2.5" coils and 2.2 shocks. So easy to install and I did not need anything else at all. The ride is way better than stock and it leveled out the rake in the front. I run 35" tires with absolutely no rubbing at all. Great kit. I am sure you will be quite satisfied. I am, 100%.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Congressman
I went with Rough Country 2.5" coils and 2.2 shocks. So easy to install and I did not need anything else at all. The ride is way better than stock and it leveled out the rake in the front. I run 35" tires with absolutely no rubbing at all. Great kit. I am sure you will be quite satisfied. I am, 100%.
you mean these??http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.html
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run the Rough Country progressive rate coil kit, with their 2.2 shocks. I've had many Jeeps and lift kits in 30 years of Jeep Ownership. I really like this kit a lot, drives really well on and off road, the quality of the materials and powder coating is excellent. You can always add their front disco's later if you think you need them.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Man i wish i had those pics taken. I got the OME HD kit recently on my black 2 door rubi. totally satisfied!!

Got it through Dave at Northridge 4x4, very helpful guy. I actually got like 3.5 inches out of it, rides great! One of these days i'll stop at best buy for a new camera, and get the pics up.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old Man Emu 2.5 HD 100% I feel it rides better than stock.....
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Question, are the OME HD coils a soft ride or a stiff ride for a stock jeep?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Come on guys. Time to stop the apples and oranges comparisons.

If you do a 2.5"-3" lift on a Rubi or other JK with the front electronic disconnect,(spacer or suspension) and do not add longer swaybar links, you risk the front swaybar inverting forward and causing damage like this:

So, if you have a Rubi and buy an RC or OME, plan on an additional $40+ for longer links.

Without either a rear trackbar bracket or adjustable rear trackbar on a 2.5"-3" lift, you axle will be off center enough to cause rear brakeline and swaybar link clearance problems at full flex. So, if you buy an RC or OME kit, plan on at least an additional $30-$40+ for a rear trackbar relocation bracket.

Then, the general rule of thumb is that you need to extend your bumpstops about the same amount as your lift--unless you create more clearance by trimming your flares or going with high clearance flares. Furthermore, without proper bumpstoping, you risk overcompressing your springs and/or bottoming out your shocks--causing damage.

So, if you go with an RC or OME, plan on an additional $75+ for extended bumpstops if you are going to run your stock flares untrimmed. (It is true the RC kit has a bumpstop built into the shock design, but not enough to fully flex with 35s and stock flares.

Finally, with a 2.5"-3" lift, you will want to lengthen your rear brakelines with brackets. You can fab these for cheap, but they are still needed if you fully flex your rig.

An apples to apples comparison would add $150-$200, maybe plus shipping to the RC and OME kits. These kits are great, but incomplete.

The OME kit has $80+ each quality shocks. So, it costs more.

But to say the RC spacer kit with adapters is $139, is not apples to apples. Add $150 for parts, and $30-$40 for shipping, and the kit costs more than the equivalent $260 TF kit.

I am not saying the other kits are bad. I believe they are great, just incomplete.

It is misleading to put readers of this thread through the frustration of buying a kit they thought was all they needed, and then after the install they end up with damage due to the lack of rear trackbar bracket, brakeline extensions, extended bumpstops, and swaybar links (if they have electronic disconnect--i.e. on the Rubi). If they don't really wheel their JK and fully flex it, they may never know the difference. But, if they wheel it, they can end up with frustrating damage.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noidea
Question, are the OME HD coils a soft ride or a stiff ride for a stock jeep?
The OME HD coils are not stiff. I think most folks, just as I did, assume when you see the letters HD you equate it to a stiff ride but that is not the case. They ride awesome, better than stock, you will love the ride.

They will however give a little over 3 inches of lift unless you have aftermarket bumpers. With aftermarket bumpers your looking right at 2.75 to 3 inches of lift depending on the bumpers and winch combination. I got just a hair under 3.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

I just got the 2.5" Teraflex BB with shocks not long ago and love it. The kit is complete and you wont have to buy anything else as with some other kits (rear swaybar links, rear brake line relocation brackets, bumpstops). The ride is about the same.

If you want to go the cheapest route I would recommend the BB and if you ever decide to get a bumper or add weight to the front you can add a 3/4" spacer to compensate for the added weight.

Heres a few of mine
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift4.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	18426
Spacer, shock, and bumpstop.

Name:	lift9.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	18427
Rear swaybar link and bumpstop.

Name:	lift8.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	18428
Rear brakeline relocation bracket.

Name:	lift7.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	18429

Hope this helps . Oh and by the way im 19 so I went through the same thing I searched this forum for awhile and learned a lot helped me make my decision on the lift!

Last edited by jkolb08; 01-29-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Windrocker
The OME HD coils are not stiff. I think most folks, just as I did, assume when you see the letters HD you equate it to a stiff ride but that is not the case. They ride awesome, better than stock, you will love the ride.

They will however give a little over 3 inches of lift unless you have aftermarket bumpers. With aftermarket bumpers your looking right at 2.75 to 3 inches of lift depending on the bumpers and winch combination. I got just a hair under 3.

thanks, good info...

Quick Reply: What would be a good 2.5 lift for a 2dr JK? help