Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whats THAT!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angbri
Thank you Rupe. And for you other boys a Chisese Proverb.
Man who anger woman during day,...get no PIECE at night.
We'll it looks like PigInAJeep got you the answer first. Does that mean he gets a piece, next time he's in Omaha?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still going with the coolant, just cause if it was the diff. bolt the lub. would not travel up, it would be more down from the bolt. Plus it just doesn't look thick enough for diff. fluid. But like the man said. "taste" Then when your finished brushing your teeth call jon. Make sure you post the findings. -------signed drugged up old guy with bad eyes. hey look at all the pretty colors!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wipe some of it off w/ your finger or a rag and smell it. I suspect it's gear lube though.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

I am going with diff fluid also. If you look, it is showing a few small spots around some of the other bolt heads.

By the way, how exactly did you expect to get a good answer right away by posting a picture showing the underside of your Jeep and asking "Whats THAT!!!" There are quite a few THATS in the picture you provided. I would be more specific in the initial post if you like faster responses with little to no confusion. If not, so be it.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rupedog
I'm still going with the coolant, just cause if it was the diff. bolt the lub. would not travel up, it would be more down from the bolt. Plus it just doesn't look thick enough for diff. fluid. But like the man said. "taste" Then when your finished brushing your teeth call jon. Make sure you post the findings. -------signed drugged up old guy with bad eyes. hey look at all the pretty colors!
rupedog, the reason I think it is surrounding the bolt head is because any dust/dirt on the diff cover will soak up the fluid causing it to spread in every direction.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is definately fluid from the t-case. IMHO it leaked out the seal of the t-case, spiraled down the drive shaft and flung onto the front of the diff cover (obviously in reverse). Replace the t-case and your problem is solved
Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKJoe
rupedog, the reason I think it is surrounding the bolt head is because any dust/dirt on the diff cover will soak up the fluid causing it to spread in every direction.
You might be right, I was just looking at the the thickness of it and it just doesn't look like thick gear lube. I can't wait for the correct answer, it's got me very curious. Plus I want to win, I'm sure there is a reward for the correct guess. It's pretty hard to tell anything in the pic. A guy just needs to get down there and look at it up close from diff. angles and do the touch, smell, and taste tests. Has anyone heard what it was for sure yet?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rupedog
You might be right, I was just looking at the the thickness of it and it just doesn't look like thick gear lube. I can't wait for the correct answer, it's got me very curious. Plus I want to win, I'm sure there is a reward for the correct guess. It's pretty hard to tell anything in the pic. A guy just needs to get down there and look at it up close from diff. angles and do the touch, smell, and taste tests. Has anyone heard what it was for sure yet?
Hey Guys, she stopped buy today, and it was in fact gear lube right around a couple bolts, I got about 1/4 turn on the left on and 1/2 turn on the right one.
these kind of spots are what are referd to as 'weeps' and not leaks I.E. a weep is not a leak and not a warrantable item. I tightend the bolts and cleaned it up and told her if it appears again to let me know and we will check it out from there. Jon
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Default Giovani - Thanks for the info and supprt...

and the followup for those of us smart a$$e$ with other comments.

This is a great place to learn even if some of us take things a bit lightly at times.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZToad
and the followup for those of us smart a$$e$ with other comments.

This is a great place to learn even if some of us take things a bit lightly at times.
You bet, and I know it's all in good fun, I just figured ya'll are giving her a bad time 'cause she's a girl and has one of the nicest Jeeps on the forum, LOL!

Good thing she stopped in too, while showing her how to disconect the swaybar disconnects, we found out they are defective, and the local supplier got her a new revised set orderd up. Had I realized they were gonna do that I'd of just given her mine, since I diddn't use them because I have a Rubicon, so I built my self a custom set when I installed my lift.

Quick Reply: Whats THAT!!!!