Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's it worth?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it worth?

First of all, this is not an advertisement. I'm not currently selling my Jeep. This is a thread more about valuing your rig post-mod. Again, it's not for sale at the moment, so please don't flame me for selling on the forum. I'm posting this question in the Modified forum because a large amount of the question relates to how much the mods are worth, and this seems to be the best place to get some educated opinions. Now then, here's some background:

My Jeep is in excellent condition with 21,845 miles. I have had several upgrades professionally installed on this Jeep by Trail Jeeps in Boulder, CO. They are a premier Jeep shop that exclusively works on JK models. Those upgrades include:
• An AEV 2.5” Dualsport XT suspension lift kit
• AEV Geometry Correction Brackets
• Synergy Front Track Bar
• 5 - 17” ProComp 7069 wheels
• 5 - 315/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs (less than 1,000 miles on them!)
• Rampage Front Recovery Bumper with fog lights
• Rampage Rear Recovery Bumper with auxiliary lights
• LoD Signature Rock Sliders
• Poison Spider Bombshell Differential Covers
• 4.56 upgraded gears connected to a limited slip rear differential
• Quadratec 9500is winch with synthetic line and winch kit accessories
• K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake
• Borla Dual Exit Cat-back exhaust
• KC Apollo Driving lights on windshield mounts
• A Uniden CB and 4’ Firefly antenna, professionally tuned and ready to go.

That’s over $10,000 worth of upgrades that enable this Jeep to go damn near anywhere, but it’s actually not been offroad a single time except for some maintained logging-type roads. In fact, the winch has only been used ONCE, and that was when I installed the synthetic line. Again - it's truly in excellent condition. The final but significant bonus here is the extended warranty. The Jeep comes with a 7-year/100,000 miles MOPAR extended warranty for all factory parts and systems.

So here's the crux: If I do need to sell it, I think I will ask $36,000. To get to that price, I ran the Jeep’s details through 8 different online used car pricing models. Then, I deleted the highest estimate and the lowest estimate and averaged the remaining 6. That total was $31,653. I added the upgrades at only 50% of their original cost, or $5,000 to get to $36,653. Then, I rounded that down to $36,000 to be sure that my numbers are fair.

So...what do you think? Fair pricing calculation?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods are worth nothing. 99% of the market is going to want it stock. The other 1% that is going to want it modified might not like the lift or the bumper or the winch you chose. It's cheaper for them to buy a stock one and modify it themselves. You're looking for someone very specific to buy your jeep the way it's set up now.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
You're looking for someone very specific to buy your jeep the way it's set up now.
The more I thought about it, the more I came to the same conclusion. Anyone who wants a Jeep modded will generally want to do it themselves. Makes sense - that's what I did!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

I'm definitely not trying to rain on anyones parade. But, you will not get 50% of what you spent on mods. Now I'm not saying that someone will not come along and pay that. But, generally speaking that is high. Realistically 10%-20% is what the market will pay. Now, if you took off all your mods and sold them seperatly then I could see you getting the higher percentage you want.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

nice jeep and worth keeping. Selling I see a few issues one it still has a dana 30 up front so even tho it is nicely built some guys wont like that. The other is with all those mods most dealers will be fighting you on your warranty.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You live in Denver, have a capable Jeep and you've not been offroad? WTF dude?!?

So now that I'm done giving you $hit; what year? ~ 3.6 or 3.8

In many markets in the U.S., no, you likely will receive little return on your aftermarket investments. However, in our region where they'll actually get used and are necessary for the off road enthusiast, they still hold some value. So if someone is in the market to buy a Jeep with that capability and especially if they do not complete their own work, you're likely to attract that buyer and will get a return on your aftermarket gear. It's not all that uncommon around here but the key is to have a well kept unbeaten rig (as you do) and make the case in your advertisement for $xx invested parts AND labor while you're taking the depreciation on the sale.

Most will try to work you out of the add ons (see above posts) but if you don't need to sell it right away, hold on for the person that wants your rig because 1. it's in great shape and 2. already has the type of gear on it he/she would install/have installed anyway at a fraction of the cost. 50% around here isn't completely unlikely.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok
You live in Denver, have a capable Jeep and you've not been offroad? WTF dude?!?
Haha! It's a 2013 with the 3.6. Actually, I just had all the upgrades completed and was starting to get serious about finding some offroad areas (I've been up around Dakan Road and the Rampart Range, but nothing serious) and then...I found out I may be getting transferred to Germany. So, nothing for sure yet, but that's the full story.

Thanks for the local perspective! I appreciate it. Well see what happens. It's a beautiful Jeep and it would kill me to get rid of, but I can't take it to Germany and it's too nice to just put in storage for a couple of years.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

You didn't mention the year but given that you think it's worth $31 I'm guessing it's a 2013/14? Also, it's a sahara (I made the same mistake) so you're going to get offers in line with the Sport, not with the Rubicon. A brand new sport starts at 26K. I'd consider that your ceiling unless you find that very special buyer that loves what you did with it. If I were buying a moded jeep, I'd want more function (Lockers, upgraded axles, hyrdro assist) and a lot less cosmetic bolt on kind of stuff. In my opinion you and I threw away 5-6K buying the Sahara and that is a totally sunk cost. Keep it, it sounds like you've got some more wheeling to do anyway, 1 time isn't enough.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

No one around here will pay that for used and limited warranty. You will be MUCH better off taking off the easy mods (bumpers, wheels, tires, etc.) and selling them on the forum, Craig's List, etc. then returning the Jeep to as close to stock as possible. Then you'll get maybe a few hundred to a thousand more than KBB/Edmunds.

It sucks. I am hoping I'll just keep mine and eventually store it to sell in 30 years when I'm a REALLY old fart and get back out of it what I paid.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck either way, Germany or not. Unless you can complete your own work (or have someone do it for free), I'd advise not spending even more cash to have your add-ons removed to sell otherwise. Stepping over quarters to pick up nickels.

Even if you make next to nothing on your extra investment (again, highly unlikely around here), what you have on it will make it much more marketable around here than the other thousands of stock Saharas (etc.) you see all day. The used Jeep market for the 3.6 is pretty strong here.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What's it worth?