Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel problems again

Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel problems again

Ok, i saved up and saved up and finally spent for brand new rims and tires. I love the combination, but i have one issue. THe other day when my buddies and i went wheeling, i was coming out of a huge mud hole and had to drive extremely close to a power line. With my wheels being rockstars, i really did not want to hurt them in any way, but luckily when my front tire hit the power line pole, the tire side wall took most of the hit, but i lost the center cap. I mean, it is smashed up somewhere in the mud. I was going to just replace it with the spare tire one, but then thought about what i would do if I did that again.

I really like the look with them on, but hate the fact that they stick that far. So my question..... How can i cut the cap back?

I was thinking about using a pipe cutter, but then i will need a new bolt. Just any ideas would be a help.

No, i really dont want to take them off every time i go wheeling.
Thanks
Jackson

Just incase you dont think it goes off road, here it is at the gas station afterwards (other side broken off)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1228092101.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	34779
Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help if you post side and rear view pics of the cap.

You should be able to cut or replace the bolt.

Next time you buy tires, get a set that is 1" wider so they provide more protection.

BTW, this is exactly why you need your wheels for your Jeep wisely.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

i guess you are right, i just had no idea how far they stuck out, i figured they were plush with the rim, not little things begging to get smashed off.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, you lost me at rockstar center caps,. Eh, just funnin. If you plan to off-road alot, I'd ditch the center caps or maybe try to find some for another rim that doesn't stick out so far. Unfortunately, that's the way most of us learn on here, trial and error, but hey at least now the next guy that wants to go with a set-up like yours knows about it now.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

here they are....not mine but they look the same

Name:	xd7757r.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	34782

Name:	img_0376.jpg
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	34781

Name:	t3.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	34780

THe thing has post what looks like spacers that are attached to the plastic. I think i know how to cut them, but does anyone know if i can cut the screw back, and if i can, how?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Sorry, you lost me at rockstar center caps,. Eh, just funnin. If you plan to off-road alot, I'd ditch the center caps or maybe try to find some for another rim that doesn't stick out so far. Unfortunately, that's the way most of us learn on here, trial and error, but hey at least now the next guy that wants to go with a set-up like yours knows about it now.
Yeah, but i would have rather have been the guy that learned about it, not done it
Old 01-01-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

ill try not to make fun and just help you. use a dremel tool with a plastic wheel to cut off the plastic spacer. use a metal wheel to cut off the screw. it does not look like there is much to cut off though. can you just find a different center cap mabey a flat one with no dang star. sorry that just slipped out. good luck though.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

I say get a spare set of steelies. Those rims are not meant for wheelin. When you care if your rims are going to get scratched, that's when you need to change them.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders
ill try not to make fun and just help you. use a dremel tool with a plastic wheel to cut off the plastic spacer. use a metal wheel to cut off the screw. it does not look like there is much to cut off though. can you just find a different center cap mabey a flat one with no dang star. sorry that just slipped out. good luck though.
Not sure what you are trying not to make fun of, but i know how to cut plastic. I am asking how should cut this bolt. I cant find a shorter one, so i was asking anyone who had these rims how they dealt with it. the bolt looks something like this

Name:	yo_12fh.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	34787
So cutting this could be hard because there is barely any threading on it.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I say get a spare set of steelies. Those rims are not meant for wheelin. When you care if your rims are going to get scratched, that's when you need to change them.
Im not scared to scratch them, i just dont want to have anything make any unwanted modifications to the rim again. I mean, they are only 2 weeks old.

Quick Reply: wheel problems again