Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I suppose aluminum rims would be the same then....so don't get aluminum rims either....obviously, they will permanently bond to your hubs, just like an aluminum spacer.

IE: I have never seen a properly torqued set have a problem.

On the other hand, I've seen over torqued lug nuts, on rims with no spacers, cause a rim to warp, and cause vibes as if a weight had been thrown, etc.

D:
Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant211
Not trying to be rude, but have you tried to use the search engine? There are a lot of posts about this
I've done alot of research on wheel spacers and there is a tremendous amount of people saying they are highly dangerous and should be avoided at all cost... on the other hand there are just as many people arguing that they are safe and used all the time.

You can use the search on JK-forum and then use the search on the hundreds of other forums and every thread will be a debate with half the people saying yes and half saying no.

Maybe this thread will be the one where someone actually gives a good answer.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Maybe this thread will be the one where someone actually gives a good answer.

Not likely, you'll probably get the exact same answers you've read. Some yes, some no. I guess I look at it this way. If you're concerned about it and some people say they are safe and some say they are not safe. Then why not just buy wheels that are backspaced properly and not bother with spacers? Nobody said NOT using spacers is unsafe. Millions of cars go without spacers every day.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Actually - there is no disagreement as to spacers at all.

There is only confusion suffered by people reading the posts without a context.

The crux of the confusion are the two basic TYPES of wheel spacers.

If you do not KNOW about BOTH, you will think people are disagreeing.

The most common type are simple flat plates with various holes in them, typically, less than 1/4" in thickness...and they are simply sandwiched by the hub and rim, having only holes (unthreaded) and no studs or bolts....

Those are the dangerous ones with a long history of problems.....anyone talking about "Dangerous Wheel Spacers" means this type.

The OTHER wheel spacer is designed to bolt to both the hub, and the rim, essentially tying the hub and rim to each other with multiple threaded connections....these are historically safe, and do not cause the kinds of problems endemic to the more common plate type.

A set of the GOOD spacers will cost you around $50/wheel.

If you want new rims, obviously, you could just get new rims with less backspacing, and not need spacers.

As decent rims often cost more than $50 each, many people chose to keep the oem rims, and just space them out.

Also - many people live in states where they will fail inspection if the tire protrudes out past the fenders....so, they use spacers to get the wider track/off camber stability off road (OR the look of a wider stance etc...)...but can REMOVE the spacers at inspection time....and just put them back on when the inspection is over, etc.

So - there no reason to use, or not use them per se...its just what makes sense to get the BS you need, given your budget, state, etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-03-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, any time I've heard of disagreement between spacers it was the type that you'd bolt to your hub and then bolt your tire to that spacer. I've never heard of just those flat spacers. Which of course seem ridiculous because it'd just shorten the length of your wheel studs and you really wouldn't be able to get much of a spacer put in.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Well....there were several threads where people asked for one example of a failed threaded spacer....and no one could supply one.

I've seen failed RIMS, so I'm SURE SOME one has had a failed spacer...but, apparently, its just not a common enough problem for it to be able to provide an example.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I definately know that those Washer type spacers are no good. I've seen debates over the bolt on spacers. Some people say if they use grade 8 hardware they are OK. I have personally seen pictures of a broken bolt on wheel spacer from an S10pickup.

I was thinking today.... I do notice it seems more acceptable on the JK than any other Wrangler. Is the JK hub eccentric and the rest lug eccentric? And if so, does that make a difference?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I definately know that those Washer type spacers are no good. I've seen debates over the bolt on spacers. Some people say if they use grade 8 hardware they are OK. I have personally seen pictures of a broken bolt on wheel spacer from an S10pickup.

I was thinking today.... I do notice it seems more acceptable on the JK than any other Wrangler. Is the JK hub eccentric and the rest lug eccentric? And if so, does that make a difference?
The JK is lug-centric, I believe.

I feel if you buy from a reputable manufacturer, you'll be okay. I see a lot of people trying to save money by purchasing "bolt-on" spacers on ebay. Most of the ebay things are crap, and wont stand up.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I was looking at pics of bolt on wheel spacers and most have a flat face around the center hole. I notice the ones for the JK have a lip sticking up around the hole. I didn't know if that meant it was hub eccentric, or if it had anything to do with making it better than without the lip.

Like the pics a couple posts above this one. Those have the lip I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers