Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers and axle stress?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers and axle stress?

Hey all, so I'm running the stock Rubi Dana 44's, and recently threw on some 35'' tires. I just picked up some 1.5'' wheel spacers, but then started reading a bit about axle stress. I do plan in the near future to truss the axles, and put on knuckle gussets, but I'm curious if there are any risks to the stock axles, with the tires and spacers until I get to that point.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are fine. I've run them on d30' and d44's with no issues. Had 100k miles on one set and I'm at 77k on the second set. We wheel pretty hard too. I have 5 other rigs in our group that run them. W are all on 37's. We all run spydertrax
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheel spacers and stock wheels don't cause any more stress than aftermarket wheels with proper backspacing...same geometry.
Make SURE you're using hubcentric spacers to keep from overstressing (and breaking) the wheel studs.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And dont forget to check the lug nuts regularly. I think many of those that have probs are because they put them on there and forget about them. They dont do their check ups.....
Old 07-20-2017, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The real stresses happened at the outers. Mainly the ball joints, unit bearings, and the inner C. Expect things to wear out faster. Wider wheels are the same as using spacers like stated. I would not waste the time on so called trusses that don't do much. With 35's you should be fine with the factory set up unless you like to ram into stuff.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers and axle stress?