Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers needed?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers needed?

I just picked up a 2 door 2008 x. I have purchased a teraflex 2.5 suspension lift with bilstien shocks. I have a set of 2013 Sahara rims with BFGs 275/70/18 on them. It looks like teraflex instructions say you need wheel spacers to run stock rims. Is that, in fact, the case?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the wheels used. If you say the Sahara 18'' with slightly larger tires, you could see a small amount of rubbing / scrubbing based on the comment link below.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-179123/page2/

Also this link:

https://teraflex.com/news_items/wheel-adapters
Old 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these wheel spacers they speak of safe to use?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ofireengo
Are these wheel spacers they speak of safe to use?

Do yourself a favor and get 1.5in. Spacers.

If you watch Teraflex's install video for their lift that shows the use of 1.25 in spacers they demonstrate that you have to grind of the top quarter inch or so off of your factory wheel studs because they are in fact longer than the spacers are thick. This is not the case (as far as I know) with 1.5in thick spacers. Not saying there is any safety issue doing this, it is just a lot of extra unnecessary work (think of the time it will take to grind down the tops of 20 wheel studs on top of installing the spacers, vs just installing the spacers).

I'm pretty sure most other brands of wheel spacers are 1.5in thick or thicker. Others can chime in on this for clarification. There are several good brands out there to choose from, when I was looking into them Spidertrax 1.5in were a very popular choice.

Last edited by tjkamp; 02-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Also, from the videos I saw it seems the issue is with the rear stabilizer links hitting the wheel, not tire rubbing in the front. From what I remember, you must have spacers or different wheels to run the longer end links in the rear.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Adapters, most people say yes. Spacers, most will say no. (for the reason they give, less threads for the lugnuts to hold onto).

Also notice that Tera's adapters are only 1.25" thick. If you go with them, note the caution they give about the small possibility of having to cut the bolts down a bit. Not an issue with 1.50" or thicker adapters.

And as another note, looking at the pictures in that link, one of the reason they suggest spacers is for clearance with the swaybar links. People have posted in the past about just mounting the links on the inside of the swaybar instread of the outside as pictured.

Bah, tjkamp beat me by a minute while I was typing.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Adapters, most people say yes. Spacers, most will say no. (for the reason they give, less threads for the lugnuts to hold onto).

Also notice that Tera's adapters are only 1.25" thick. If you go with them, note the caution they give about the small possibility of having to cut the bolts down a bit. Not an issue with 1.50" or thicker adapters.

And as another note, looking at the pictures in that link, one of the reason they suggest spacers is for clearance with the swaybar links. People have posted in the past about just mounting the links on the inside of the swaybar instread of the outside as pictured.

Bah, tjkamp beat me by a minute while I was typing.
Great minds think alike!

I did mean adapters in my post, was just typing too quickly, and said spacers out of habit.

Happy Jeeping!

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers needed?