Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers or not?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wheel Spacers or not?

I need some advice. I'm thinkiong about some 1 1/2" wheel spacers for my stock rims on my Rubicon. Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMHO put your money toward a set of wheels with the correct backspacing.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

A lot of people(including me) have been running Spidertrax wheel spacers for a long time with no problems. I got mine for less than $200. New wheels with different backspacing are probably better in the long run, but more expensive obviously even if you got the cheap steelies...especially considering the cost of mount and balance added on top of the new wheels.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running them and they are great! As long as you orque them down correctly and check them after the first few thousand miles you will be good to go! Yea you oculd spend the extra money to get aftermarket wheels but it is all in what you like... plus IMHO black steelies look like crap. If you are looking for a clean look stick with the stockers!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran them for a while then sold them and bought new wheels with 5.75 backspacing.

The spidertrax were alot of work to keep retourquing and always having to check them. I loved them and they are safe!!! I just went a different route due to the constant feeling of disconcern. Although for the 3000 miles I ran them they never did loosen. I would do it again but if you ever want your tires rotated or balanced or even mounted, some places wont due it with wheel spacers installed. They dont like them. Discount tire is like this, and that is where I got my bfg KM2 and wheels from.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default no issues

I run 1.5 spacers- not spidertrax. Regardless of what brand you decide on, make sure they are 6061 billet aluminum, grade 8 hardware, and machined hubcentric. The anodizing is nice, but your aluminum wheels are not anodized so I don't see the need. I Loc-Tite'd the inner lug nuts and have run mine for 13,000 miles, NO loosening, NO problems whatsever. I love the widestance look, the improved handling. Realignment is not necessary. I would buy these again tomorrow, and for $ 38.00 apiece shipped the price was great.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have Spidertrax 1.5 with stock wheels, I was nervous at first but I have had zero problems. Just after you put them on and drive for like 50 miles or something check them again. It is a pain but that is when they may loosen if ever. Use locktite. Every time I rotate my tires I check the spacer bolts and they are fine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi

My preference would be new wheels, just one less thing to deal with. However I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the Spidertrax (or similar) style spacers. I ran them on the front of my former Corvette for years with no issues.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
My preference would be new wheels, just one less thing to deal with. However I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the Spidertrax (or similar) style spacers. I ran them on the front of my former Corvette for years with no issues.
X2... I didn't want to mess with them. Most tire/repair shops won't touch your vehicle if you have them on there either. I get free rotation and balances from Discount Tire and they wouldn't touch a vehicle with spacers. I guess it is a big liability.

Not to say it would ever happen, but if you lose a wheel, break an axle, and get in a crash you may have an issue with your insurance coverage if they find out you were running spacers. Not to mention warranty issues with your axle and hub bearings.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, this really helps alot. I knnow Rims and tires would be the ultimate fix, but that is far far away in a distant galaxy from where I sit.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers or not?